Khronos To Create Meta-API For Vulkan, Metal, And DirectX 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh_killaknott27

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
so will this new API support 8.1 or Win7 users? as Microsoft and AMD both said Multi GPU support will only be available for Win10 users? in regards to DX12 and Vulkan. AS usual MS is using every available means to force 7 and 8.1 users to upgrade, all for that marketing data.

Josh_killaknott27

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017

I guess I should've looked at a few other articles haha . That's awesome news , when sources first claimed it would only be compatible with Windows 10 , I was what one would call a sad panda . I know ow a lot of people prefer the newer o.s , idk I guess with how pushy there were (dark alley Crack dealer pushy) it just turned me off.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
I doubt we'll see this api for api being used in many AAA titles though... It inevitably adds overhead and in scenarios where devs scratch out every frame they'll rather go for DX12 or Vulkan directly.

TripleHeinz

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I thought one of the main attributes of Vulkan was portability. But is up to big companies if they adopt an API in their platforms, so Khronos can create as many meta-APIs they want, companies can keep ignoring them.

Anyway, this doesn't explicitly say much, but I did a small game engine that runs on D3D11, D3D11.X, D3D12 and Vulkan. It is based on a common interface...I code once and then run in any API I want. Did I created a meta-API?
http://www.tripleheinz.com/index.php?page=4

EDIT: And i'm just one single burgerflipper, imagine what a huge corporation full of resources can do. If they want portability then support Vulkan or die!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I barely see any adoption of this API. If it was only DX12 and Vulkan, then it might have been good for devs. By making it an intersection between the three APIs, it becomes completely useless. Metal is not going to be as robust or as well supported as the other 2 for less than 5% of the market share. Why bother using a crippled API over just Vulkan?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Seems like this will just split their attention needlessly. OpenGL/ES/WebGL already exists, no need to add yet another API.

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
OpenGL/ES/WebGL are pretty outdated and lack support which is why Unity has such a strong hold on things. This API if they can pull it off would be a very strong and serious competitor to Unity

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Unity is a game engine. It doesn't compete with graphics APIs, it works together with graphics APIs.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

I can't see how API could be a competition to an engine... you are comparing two things on different architectural levels.

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Sorry I skipped a step in my post, from what I have been reading online there are a number of 3'rd parties who are requesting an API such as this because they want to build a more portable engine. I know Steam is wanting to build a new one and Epic as also been requesting the functionality. Google, Sony, Nintendo and nVidia are also sponsoring parties for this new Meta API as well.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I guess Valve is very happy with just Vulkan alone, having games running on their Windows and Linux user base, and on Steam OS.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Fuck Apple & just push the Vulkan. When Apple starts losing the ground with iOS (main money cow this day's) because lack of content they will adopt Vulkan, all problems solved. We do need Vulkan for further of VR (more than anything else) so Apple is only solo fool standard in the way of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.