Kim Dotcom Flaunts New Mega Servers: 720 TB Per Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I don't get why they go after places that host just the torrents of the files or act as data dumps...
They need to go after the pirating rings that regularly release the pirated software/movies...

There are rings of these guys that even compete with each other on who can release whatever the fastest/before the other...
And these guys seem to be a pretty stable group, they run under the same name for years, and yet, never get shutdown...

Going after freakshows like this dotcom character does nothing. Another data dump pops up in his place...

markus-san

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Sounds like storage on a budget!

A rack of Supermicro storage servers is cool, but with all his excess, why aren't we looking at a bunch of netapp shelves, or EMC, or Compellant for that matter?

Looks like he's scrimping and scraping.

G

@markus-san
Probably the reason why Backblaze doesn't use netapps. They can utilize cheap mass storage with software to cover for redundancy.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]markus-san[/nom]Sounds like storage on a budget!A rack of Supermicro storage servers is cool, but with all his excess, why aren't we looking at a bunch of netapp shelves, or EMC, or Compellant for that matter?Looks like he's scrimping and scraping.[/citation]
They do not offer higher storage density, just different data storage designs and RAID designs with technology to manage all the storage. A rack of EMC or NetApp would actually have less storage than straight servers like his since it would have redundancy built in for the data protection (not to say that Mega will lack redundancy). If you have the talent, you can make these things (servers) your self - that is what Facebook and Google do.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I agree with m223767 and scook9.. I used to build storage systems for my old company.. Its much cheaper to buy tons of supermicro 48 drive rack mountable chassis and slap a hard drives in there.. The big boys charge an arm and leg for replacement drives.. Just use a ZFS system like open solaris and have a party.. You can scale massively large and have amazingly high redundancy while doing it.. Hell the netapp at my new job drops a disk about every month so whats the difference..

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I don't get why they go after places that host just the torrents of the files or act as data dumps...They need to go after the pirating rings that regularly release the pirated software/movies...There are rings of these guys that even compete with each other on who can release whatever the fastest/before the other...And these guys seem to be a pretty stable group, they run under the same name for years, and yet, never get shutdown...Going after freakshows like this dotcom character does nothing. Another data dump pops up in his place...[/citation]
i believe he was paying people to host copyrighted material. if you uploaded something and got X amount of downloads he would pay you. guess what gets the most downloads? you guessed it. movies and other copyrighted stuff. so he was basically encouraging people to host copyrighted material and then paying them. that's why they raided him.

G

@memadmax
I don't believe you. There aren't "groups" out there that race to pirate things. You've got some pretty wild fantasies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I have a feeling that this guy will not die of natural causes in bed.
You can tick of many people, but there is the moment you ticked of the wrong guy/group and then things make the 6 o'clock news.

Not a loss to the DNA pool fortunately.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]This guy never learns..[/citation]

no he already knows what he needs to..

NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SUBMIT, PERSEVERE KEEP ROLLING NEVER BACK DOWN

they call him a criminal in USA when that is the farking motto

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I have a feeling that this guy will not die of natural causes in bed.You can tick of many people, but there is the moment you ticked of the wrong guy/group and then things make the 6 o'clock news.Not a loss to the DNA pool fortunately.[/citation]

Sad statement of fear, good job the ruling class will like that in the future

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jonjonjon[/nom]i believe he was paying people to host copyrighted material. if you uploaded something and got X amount of downloads he would pay you. guess what gets the most downloads? you guessed it. movies and other copyrighted stuff. so he was basically encouraging people to host copyrighted material and then paying them. that's why they raided him.[/citation]
it is a legitimate business model just not when applied to coppyright material.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]kfddjkghf[/nom]@memadmaxI don't believe you. There aren't "groups" out there that race to pirate things. You've got some pretty wild fantasies.[/citation]

Then I believe that you have never pirated anything before...

Good boy.

=D

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Sad statement of fear, good job the ruling class will like that in the future[/citation]

Nothing to do with that.
He is simply a glorified crook, that's all.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
My question is who is gonna be stupid enough to use this service again. He's still fighting legal battles and a lot of people are already lost their data. Top it off they warned him not to start up again.

Now I don't think anything is wrong with his service per say, but if I knew my data even if legit could easily get taking (they did it once even though warrants were found to be invalid) I wouldn't be able to trust it.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
You would think he would resolve his current legal battle first. I can't see him trying to make the service for US citizens, if so, then he's asking for trouble.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]no he already knows what he needs to..NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SUBMIT, PERSEVERE KEEP ROLLING NEVER BACK DOWNthey call him a criminal in USA when that is the farking motto[/citation]Did... I just get rickrolled?

Status
Not open for further replies.