Kim Dotcom Promises Free Broadband for New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see 5 times faster internet with 20% of the current ridiculously high prices here in the US.
However ridiculously high you think the prices in the US are, I'm willing to bet they are ridiculously higher in New Zealand. Everything is ridiculously overpriced here relative to the US.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
According to Ookla Net Index, the average New Zealand download is 10.92, upload is 3.57.
But...the price is $62.20/month relatively.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
According to Ookla Net Index, the New Zealand speeds tested are averaged at ~11 down, 3.5 up. But the price is sixty-two dollars on a monthly basis average.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
LOL! you should all be quiet and take what you get. Have a look at pricing in South Africa if you want ridiculous. I'm visiting family in Australia currently and I have to agree that, compared to Germany (where I am studying), the prices and broadband infrastructure (in Perth) are ridiculous...

anything capped is bullcrap, anywhere in the world.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
This guy is a patriotic hero of his country. So of course the USA wants to lock him in prison for the rest of his life. All I can say is that I haven't to be an American for a long time, and certainly the current President has only made me think worse of the country. I did not think anyone could be worse than Bush, but then we got Obama.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Go go go Dotcom! I live in New Zealand and internet prices over here are shocking compared to what I've seen in the US. Not long ago we were paying around $33US a month just for 3GB of 256/128kbps in the middle of one of NZ's larger cities (and that was classed as broadband here...). Prices have definitely gotten better recently but we're still far from the sort of service you'd expect to get in the US or Europe.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]This guy is a patriotic hero of his country. So of course the USA wants to lock him in prison for the rest of his life. All I can say is that I haven't to be an American for a long time, and certainly the current President has only made me think worse of the country. I did not think anyone could be worse than Bush, but then we got Obama.[/citation]
From the eyes of a foreigner, nobody could be more stupid than Bush jr.

Probably the wisest president you lot had was Clinton. Never started a war, iirc. Obama, from how i see it, had to fix Bush's mess. He's also prioritizing getting out of war.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Let's bring them down... USA here we go...

Dotcom should be nickname Doc.Tor Evil:

MUAH HA HA HA HA!

AAHHH HA HA HA HA!

AH HA...! AH HA...!

HHAAA...!

Tee Hee*

gabimoro

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Your internet fees are indeed ridiculous. I live in Romania (Transylvania), in a small isolated village and for a 12 mbps (about 1,2 MB/sec download speed) I pay about 10 $. There is no limit on download.
In bigger cities, for the same fee, the download speed is 5 or even 10 times higher.
Now don't get angry, the fees might be low but we earn less money. My salary is 500 $.
Who laughs now?

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]gabimoro[/nom]Your internet fees are indeed ridiculous. I live in Romania (Transylvania), in a small isolated village and for a 12 mbps (about 1,2 MB/sec download speed) I pay about 10 $. There is no limit on download.In bigger cities, for the same fee, the download speed is 5 or even 10 times higher.Now don't get angry, the fees might be low but we earn less money. My salary is 500 $.Who laughs now?[/citation]

Yes, $10 is OK, but that's because of subsidies. Dotcom still has a lot to learn from Dracula :D

gabimoro

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
There's no subsidies, these are the real prices. Our praised government doesn't pay a dime, at least not for this. "Internet, what is it good for?".
I think your internet providers are greedy. Your infrastructure is getting old, but is still acceptable and the providers don't want to change it, not yet. We had no infrastructure at all, but when we got it, they put optical fiber I guess.

grz09

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
^ below $20/mo ? that's cute ...

Here in indonesia, it's $ 70/mo for 1mbps ... yes bit, not bytes. and shit tons of connection problem for most of the time.
Although the wireless broadband provider are cheaper than the "cable" counterpart, which is average 200ms latency, not good for gaming :D

$70 compared to my $600-700 salary is considered expensive. It suck to have such a huge country with tons of islands.

gabimoro

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, 10$/month for 10Mbps.
In the larger cities (more than 50k-100k population) there are offers for 12-14$/month: 100 Mbps download speed and other bonuses (internet on the mobile phone, internet on a USB stick for laptops, HBO GO).

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Oh yeah, im about to wipe the floor with my internet situation...

I live in East Africa in Tanzania, the only reliable internet is from the national phone company

I pay for the Best Unlimited package for civilian customers which gives you 2M, thats right... for 120$!!!! And its not dedicated, and on average it only goes up to 1M, any higher speed are more expensive and have a data cap!!!

beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS