[SOLVED] Kind of a question from a new guy here.

Matthew_138

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
So I've got this drive which was for my old PC and when I connect it to a monitor I can't boot up windows 7. I had problems with it in the past which led me to get a whole new PC but I still have old videos and photos on it that I think I could transfer to the new PC if I could just get windows 7 to load. Since it goes to the windows loading screen but then can't go past that I'm assuming I need a windows 7 boot disc or something but I don't really know. Basically I'm trying to find out if there is a way to get windows 7 to boot on that drive long enough to get my old stuff off there and on to my new PC. Hope I explained this well enough. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The image has been removed. You should not be posting your product key and serial number publicly.

The problem is that you're trying to boot off the hard drive (I think, the terminology you're using is fairly vague). If you have a new PC, you install the hard drive, but still boot to the new one -- Windows installs are not intended to be modular in this way.

Your other option would be to put the old hard drive in an enclosure and attach it to your new PC via USB.

Matthew_138

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Sorry I just thought the photo would help if you could see more info on my PC. So I guess you're saying since windows 7 was preinstalled on the old PC when I got it that I can't make a boot disc and get it to boot that way? I can post pictures of the drive itself minus any numbers or keys if that helps.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sorry I just thought the photo would help if you could see more info on my PC. So I guess you're saying since windows 7 was preinstalled on the old PC when I got it that I can't make a boot disc and get it to boot that way? I can post pictures of the drive itself minus any numbers or keys if that helps.

No, Windows installations are not modular on different hardware. You need to mount it, not run a second computer using it.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
just attach win7 hdd in your current pc, and run your current windows, and transfer all you want.
if it`s IDE drive, make sure you set jumper to slave...