Kinect Sensors Used to Enhance Oculus Rift Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Kinect, Sminect...still don't see a consumer product ready for sale...over 2 years now and nothing...

Do you mean Oculus? The Kinect has been out for years... The Oculus hasn't released a retail version yet, but you can buy a developer kit (which still works the same) right off their website.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I think that's pretty awesome! It's neat to see more immersive VR taking place, especially being able to properly render yourself. I'm certain the author has already thought about an array of Kinects to give even more definition, similar to how we started with single channel/mono audio, then stereo, and then kept adding speakers (5, 7, 12) to make a more immersive experience.

I think when we look back on the decade of 2010-2020, we're going to see a lot of great technology was released to the consumer & prosumer markets: SSDs, APUs/GPUs, Wireless & NFC, digital optics (DSLRs, Google Glass, camera phones, etc), 3D printers, uses for Graphene, and probably very near 'true' quantum computing before 2020. And in tech in general, the LHC & discovery of the Higgs-Boson, stem cell research advancements, gene therapy, advances in displays that use organic material (or going back to my graphene reference). These are exciting times to be interested in tech!

starmajoris

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Very few things WOW me anymore on the tech industry and this is been going on for years. But I have to confess i was genuinely impressed and said 'wow' when i saw the arms reaching out. Tremendous potential for the future in gaming and VR.
I feel real Sword Art Online on the making for 2025. :D

alextheblue

Distinguished
Tremendous potential for the future in gaming and VR.
I feel real Sword Art Online on the making for 2025. :D
I would love to play a game like SAO. But until they can dump you into a true VR enviroment without your limbs thrashing around violently... not happening.

Anyway, he said he's using three first-gen Kinects. If he was using 3 or 4 of the latest Kinect 2.0 (or later) units with a more powerful system? Wow. Also wireless solutions instead of wires tethering him would be nice.

Anyway, I'd like to see Facebook and Microsoft work together to bring Oculus to XB1. That way I could use the same VR unit on XB1 and PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.