Kingston Coming With 30 GB 'Boot' SSD for $80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Given how big Windows is getting (mostly because of the WinSxS folder), 30GB isn't enough IMO. Windows 7 will release SP1 and SP2 and the first thing you will notice is that it will be full and the only way you will have to fix it is to reinstall the whole thing with a slipstreamed DVD.

[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]Given how big Windows is getting (mostly because of the WinSxS folder), 30GB isn't enough IMO. Windows 7 will release SP1 and SP2 and the first thing you will notice is that it will be full and the only way you will have to fix it is to reinstall the whole thing with a slipstreamed DVD.[/citation]
+1. Exactly what I'm thinking. For just the OS, few games,etc you need at least 80GB.

However, if you do RAID 0 them, you can get it for a pretty decent price ($160) which isn't too bad.

HOWEVER, BEWARE that the Kingston V series doesn't use the Intel controller like the E Series, so your read/writes are going to suffer quite a bit
See: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=328&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=7

[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Nice Kingston, that isn't an absolutely horrible price. 50mb/s is a lot better than Intel's budget SSD at 35mb/s at write speed.[/citation]
Only in the 4KB write. In pretty much everything else, the Intel PWNS.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1022/9/

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]For just the OS, few games,etc you need at least 80GB.[/citation]For just the OS and a few basic "productivity" apps, 40GB is enough; I'm still using my old 36GB Raptor as my OS drive.
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]HOWEVER, BEWARE that the Kingston V series doesn't use the Intel controller like the E Series, so your read/writes are going to suffer quite a bit.[/citation]Actually, I know the 40GB Kingston V is based on the Intel X25-M, but was "chocked" in some way, maybe this is also the case. Also note that the Kingston V does not support TRIM where even the new Intel X25-V 40GB does. However, if you are to RAID the drives, it should be of no consequence.

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Only in the 4KB write. In pretty much everything else, the Intel PWNS.[/citation]AMW1011 was probably referring to the new Intel X25-V 40GB (or Kingston V 40GB) which is some crippled X25-M for budget users.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
If you know how to strip down your Windows installation by using vLite and other such programs, even an Installation of Windows 7 can be as low as 2GBs.

But yeah, for people lacking something as "technical" as that, it needs a little more space.... As a normal Windows 7 Ultimate installation would take as much as 15GB.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
My OS drive with Windows 7 Ultimate install is 16.1GB. I think a 30GB SSD would be sufficient for win7. In fact my partition for my OS is 30GB and running smoothly. A lot of People don't understand what "boot" drive means. ONLY Windows goes on it. No games! No apps! Windows only!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
30GB supports some windows 7 features, too bad after installing windows 7, theres no space left to install other apps that will benefit from a SSD

also 50MB/s is too slow for a write speed, while it can read at 180MB/s, applications rarely ever just read, most apps do both reading and writing.

it is better to have a 1TB drive that can read and write at 110MB/s while still costing $70, than to go for a SSD with a faster read speed but slower write speed

PS one problem that SSD's still have is multitasking.

if you have a SSD, try this, copy a large file from the SSD to another drive, while at the same time, copy a file from another hard drive, to the SSD, you will understand the performance drop I am talking about. normal HDD's don't have as large of a performance drop.

a lower cost $150 ssd will generally get like a 80% performance drop in both reading and writing

another test you can do is pull out limit windows to 1GB of memory (generally done through msconfig)

then launch a demanding game like crysis or even mass effect or any other games like this
due to the lack of memory, the system will rely heavily on virtual memory
you will see that a cheap SSD will cause much more lag in the game than a normal HDD, cheaper SSD's are good at just reading but suck at writing and also suck at multitasking so they actually perform slower than a cheaper HDD that will offer more storage.

[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]If you know how to strip down your Windows installation by using vLite and other such programs, even an Installation of Windows 7 can be as low as 2GBs.But yeah, for people lacking something as "technical" as that, it needs a little more space.... As a normal Windows 7 Ultimate installation would take as much as 15GB.[/citation]
My Win 7 x64 installation is ~1.35GB, however, I use CAD, CFD, vid editing,CS4, and games like Crysis, CoD 4,etc installed, 40GB becomes quite small.

notty22

Distinguished
Razor, your mistaken. You can set your os up on a ssd, these drives and experience incredible speed differences. There is almost NO writing being done to my C drive right now. This luxury cost me 100 dollars. Almost instant windows booting and shutting down. I run my browsers on C. I've had 24.5g of 40g- free for 2 months, using tips/configs/settings found on ocz forums and others. Having Windows on a ssd, speeds the whole system up because there is reading of system dlls,registry settings all the time. This is where ssd's are hundreds of times faster-random small reads. Where the drive is slow is sequential writes. But that is never being done the way I or you can set up a single ssd/os drive. If you decide to feed files to a platter drive a ssd can send as fast as anything can take it, including multi transfers.

HD Tune Pro: KINGSTON SSDNow 40GB Random Access

Test capacity: full

Read test

Transfer size operations / sec avg. access time avg. speed
512bytes17898 IOPS 0.06 ms 8.739 MB/s
4 KB 10202 IOPS 0.10 ms 39.854 MB/s
64 KB 2644 IOPS 0.38 ms 165.259 MB/s
1 MB 185 IOPS 5.4 ms 185.850 MB/s
Random 352 IOPS 2.8 ms 179.060 MB/s

1tb caviar black is where I install programs/user libraries/temp directories
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 Random Access

Test capacity: full

Read test

Transfer size operations / sec avg. access time avg. speed
512bytes83 IOPS 12 ms 0.041 MB/s
4 KB 83 IOPS 12 ms 0.325 MB/s
64 KB 77 IOPS 12 ms 4.849 MB/s
1 MB 41 IOPS 24 ms 41.348 MB/s
Random 54 IOPS 18 ms 27.857 MB/s
Windows updates are basically the only writes to my C drive.

Whatever. That's what they said last time about the 40Gb SSD now drive and it obviously was never below $100, and I haven't seen any rebates when they are in stock. And that isn't very often.

They finally got around to enabling trim, but I still doubt Kingston can hit anywhere near $80 with availability. What they should be working on is enabling trim for all those folks that have bought the 40GB drives, or any other drives they sell for that matter.

notty22

Distinguished
I agree with buzznut, they didn't really keep their promise of
85.00 dollars after rebate with install kit !
It was available on nov 11 for 5 hours at that price, "shell shocker"
without kit/cable.
I agree with giving us trim for that drive , before or while making this new 30 gig. I wonder if it might be the same drive, but using 10g dead space for better performance. This is said to do that. It might be why Intels 40 m drive is down to 35mb write speeds with trim, and the Kingston 40g without trim is rated for 40.

Also, I can't believe we are still having this same conversation again. Those people that are worried about sequential write speeds need to head over to Anandtech and educate themselves about SSD's.

Please show me a review of intel drives in comparison to any other SSD's where the Intel drives didn't perform the best despite the sequential writes. Intel obviously is not worried about sequential writes.

You can hang onto your mechanical drives all you want, I'm keeping all of mine in fact, but for a boot drive (which this article is about) the platter drives cannot compete. Cannot. Compete. Now go get your learn on.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
30GB? well, leaving 10GB free at all times, that leaves 20 for the OS.

Sure Win 7 can be squeezed down to 3 or 4 on it's own, but assuming you have 4GB of RAM, there's another 8GB wasted between the swap file and hibernate file, another chunk for snapshots, and then you can start installing apps... just what I grab from Ninite I considder essential, plus a productivity suite, rippers, etc (not to mention the 700MB for the HP drievrs and scanner software) and you can easily chop off another 5GB.

When i installed 7 a few months ago, by boot drive has 22GB on it. I only installed one game (which is stupid NOT to put on an SSD, but apparently that's their intent) so maybe i could have cut that back to 18GB. I manually moved each of the My Docs folders, my OST file, and anything else reasonably portable to D:. Today, my C: drive is well over 40GB. The bulk of that is crap Windows MAKES on it's own, that's not portable. Stuff in Local Apps folders and such, plus bloat from patches and updates to all the core apps, browsers, etc.

I learned the hard way even with Vista, even 32GB was not enough, and on that build the ONLY thing that got put on C: were apps required to load at boot (I used a G: drive for all other apps, including office, games, etc, anything that had to be manually launched). After 6 months I was out of space on C:. I upped it to 80GB and it ran nice at about 50GB full.

30GB is WAY too small for a boot drive today. Even my heavily locked down corporate image drive with XP is using more than 30GB and all my docs are in a home folder on a server... All that's on this machine is office apps, acrobat, CA unicenter, a few java apps, and antivirus...

I'm not even considdering an SSD below 120GB.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
With such great difference between read from write, mechanism is NO good. claimed c drive or not.

however, on good side, remember stutter & problems of running 3.3volts into 1.3 volt controller. Latest items out Now have sand controller & it runs at 5.5 volt. sata is 2.2 to 5.0 volt system, so just write. although only 1gb/s to 2 gb/s at present, new items out yesterday states it can scale past 8 Gb/s when finished or More.

drashek

Status
Not open for further replies.