Question Kingston SSD suddenly not working

EnzoLG

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a Kingston SUV400s37240g, which has been working correctly for almost 5 years since I bought it. I installed it on my laptop, a dell Inspiron 3420. The hard drive I had before on this laptop also stopped working, but I was able to recover it using software to repair damaged hard disks.

The Kingston SSD was working correctly until this morning when I don't know what happened. The laptop is currently being used by my girlfriend. When she tried to start it, it just didn't boot. I realized it was an issue with the SSD because it asked to insert some proper device to boot. I extracted the SSD, and inserted my old hard drive (which I repaired after installing the SSD) and now the laptop is working with this old hard drive. However, I would like, if possible, to restore the SSD. I used a carry disk case to try to at least make a backup of the files in the SSD. However, I can't access the SSD from my desktop computer (now, running on ubuntu 22.04). But it appears in the disks software, although it doesn't allow repairing the disks, and the benchmarks give error messages. I haven't tried to format the SSD, because I would like to recover some files before doing that.

Any idea of what can be going on?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. I have a Kingston SUV400s37240g, which has been working correctly for almost 5 years since I bought it. I installed it on my laptop, a dell Inspiron 3420. The hard drive I had before on this laptop also stopped working, but I was able to recover it using software to repair damaged hard disks.

The Kingston SSD was working correctly until this morning when I don't know what happened. The laptop is currently being used by my girlfriend. When she tried to start it, it just didn't boot. I realized it was an issue with the SSD because it asked to insert some proper device to boot. I extracted the SSD, and inserted my old hard drive (which I repaired after installing the SSD) and now the laptop is working with this old hard drive. However, I would like, if possible, to restore the SSD. I used a carry disk case to try to at least make a backup of the files in the SSD. However, I can't access the SSD from my desktop computer (now, running on ubuntu 22.04). But it appears in the disks software, although it doesn't allow repairing the disks, and the benchmarks give error messages. I haven't tried to format the SSD, because I would like to recover some files before doing that.

Any idea of what can be going on?

Thanks in advance.
Any better luck if you connect it to the laptop via usb?

Reactions: EnzoLG

EnzoLG

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Is the data backed up 100% to some other device?

Drive die.
Sometimes suddenly and completely.
Hi. Thanks. Nope, I didn't make a back up for a while, especially of my girlfriend's work. My data isn't that important because I haven't used that laptop for years.

Any better luck if you connect it to the laptop via usb?
Hi. No, I've tried that with the carry disk case. It doesn't work through the USB with my desktop computer neither.

The only option that the Gnome disks offer me when I connect it is to format the disk. I would like to make a backup before trying that, but it doesn't seem possible.

Thank you both for the feedback.

EnzoLG

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Hi there. Yesterday I've attempted to save this SSD following the instructions I've found here: https://www.freeviewer.org/blog/ssd-not-detected-after-power-outage/

However, it didn't work, and I'm not sure there was any power outage either, I just suspected my gf disconnected the notebook before shutting it down properly, but that might not be the case. So I tried to make an image of the SSD, using the disk tool provided by ubuntu. When it finished, it said there were too many errors, and the image was replaced with zeroes. After that, I tried to format the SSD, which didn't work either. I bought this SSD after I had a problem with a previous hard drive. That HDD presented errors that time, I took it out from the notebook and replaced it with the SSD, but after that, I was able to repair the errors and continued working. I can't remember which software I used to repair that disk. Is there any possibility of bringing the SSD back to life with some software? or any chance of restoring the data?