Kingston's HyperX Sets DDR3 World Speed Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
not to be negative, but is there a point to overclocking ram?

i mean on an outside of rendering applications that are ram heavy, is there even a need for faster memory?

keep in mind, i can see a need for faster cpu, faster gpu, faster hdd, faster ssd (not any more, not its price over speed they should focus on) but memory?

evang

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]not to be negative, but is there a point to overclocking ram?i mean on an outside of rendering applications that are ram heavy, is there even a need for faster memory?keep in mind, i can see a need for faster cpu, faster gpu, faster hdd, faster ssd (not any more, not its price over speed they should focus on) but memory?[/citation]

underclock your ram and let us know how it turns out

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
no bottlenecks, faster is always better. I want faster everything in my pc. i wish they sold RAM that fast but maybe later in life they will.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]evang[/nom]underclock your ram and let us know how it turns out[/citation]

Thats not the same thing, other bottlenecks and limits of what is supported mean that anything past those levels doesnt do anything. You can get most any memory to go well beyond what you can use so goin for a record is mostly for fun, no practical use in a consumer pc. Not yet anyway. Lowering your clock tho will lower performance, upping it wont help unless you just have slower memory than what your system supports. And 3600 is way beyond that.

G

But can it play Crysis faster than with a Phenom II X6 ? I want to see the benchmark.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]Wow so nice rig. How can i get one of these? May be when DDR 4 arrives starting at 2100mhz at starting speeds up to 4000mhz.[/citation]
i would love to see some benchmarks. i know AMD apu love higher faster RAM speed.

Looks like something changed in either the Processor or the CPUz program, the earlier screens when the world record was broken listed the Codename as Bulldozer and this one lists it as Zambezi. The rest is all the same though but it'd be interesting to know whether they made any changes in the processor.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]not to be negative, but is there a point to overclocking ram?i mean on an outside of rendering applications that are ram heavy, is there even a need for faster memory?keep in mind, i can see a need for faster cpu, faster gpu, faster hdd, faster ssd (not any more, not its price over speed they should focus on) but memory?[/citation]

The bottlenecks of performance in order are CPU -> RAM -> Disk. If your bottleneck is not your CPU for some 100% utilization computation, but instead CPU resources go unused because reading too / from memory is taking too long. RAM Frequency increases the rate the memory can be read, and how fast it can be read sequentially. So if you want to read out 500MB of ram to cpu and subtract 1 from every number in that chunk of RAM, if it isnt CPU bottlenecked, the ram speed is too low to load all that data fast enough. The CAS latency is how fast a random area of memory can be reached and read from, frequency is how fast data can be read from the entirety of the stick.

So more frequency means more bandwidth, lower CAS means faster random access. More frequency becomes more important as CPUs get faster because they can execute stuff faster, read and process instructions faster, etc.

So more bandwidth is important, but so is access time, which is why maximizing frequency while minimizing latency is important and a hard tradeoff.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]not to be negative, but is there a point to overclocking ram?i mean on an outside of rendering applications that are ram heavy, is there even a need for faster memory?[/citation]
Overclocking memory typically offers minimal benefits to performance compared to overclocking other components. Obviously, though, faster is always better, and even tiny boosts are welcome if they don't cost anything extra. A modest overclock that doesn't stress the RAM much is free and better than no overclock at all, even if its impact on performance is less than a 1% increase overall (referring to the RAM overclock, not counting the CPU overclock).

A setup like the one in this article is just for fun and bragging rights, though, and really has no purpose in a computer meant for real use. It is ridiculously expensive and would probably barely net you a 1-2% increase in overall system performance (referring to the RAM overclock, not counting the CPU overclock).

G

The fact that you can strap a top fuel jet engine to a Pinto and outrun a Porsche does not mean a Pinto is a good car.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
^I think turbo mode kicked in and disables two of the core to reduce heat, but not to sure though. Good question, I like to know why myself.

G

Eventhough Intel outperforms AMD at most, or probably ALL tests, why do these AMDs OC better? Any particular reason? And that must be why our Mr. Matose here used an AMD rig, and not an Intel one. Plus, these AMD boards OC better than Intel ones. Why is that???????

Status
Not open for further replies.