[SOLVED] Kraken X63 radiator fans in CPU FAN header not showing RPM

terrancez

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2013
I just bought a new Lian Li O11 Air Mini case for my 2 year old build for better cooling, but ran into some problems.
  1. I plugged my Kraken X63's radiator fans into the CPU FAN header on my ASUS Prime X570 Pro motherboard, the fans are spinning and I can control them in my bios but no RPM is showing. The Kraken X63's radiator fans are using a 4 pin connector and I double checked the connection, don't see a problem.
  2. I have 4 Lian Li Bora Digital RGB fans connected to the included fan controller to my Chassis FAN 3 header on my motherboard, also a 4 pin connector, also works fine, but no RPM reporting. On the contrary, I have 2 of the exact same fans connected to a 2nd fan controller and connected to my EVGA video card's fan header and it's reporting RPM in my Precision X1 just fine.
Screenshots from AI Suite 3 and Precision X1: View: https://imgur.com/a/JSrCxf9

Solution
The manual for that system indicates that, although the system has TWO rad fans, it comes with a fan SPLITTER with THREE output connectors. Look closely at them. Of the three, only ONE (the first in the group) will have all FOUR pins inside it, I expect. You must plug one of the rad fans into that output. Any mobo fan header can accept coming back to it the speed signal of only ONE fan, so all SPLITTERS will send back to the host header the speed of only ONE fan. On your Splitter, that is the output with all four pins in it. The speed of any fan plugged into other output connectors simply is ignored and not reported anywhere.

A similar factor applies to your case fans. I cannot find the "included fan controller" in manuals for your...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The manual for that system indicates that, although the system has TWO rad fans, it comes with a fan SPLITTER with THREE output connectors. Look closely at them. Of the three, only ONE (the first in the group) will have all FOUR pins inside it, I expect. You must plug one of the rad fans into that output. Any mobo fan header can accept coming back to it the speed signal of only ONE fan, so all SPLITTERS will send back to the host header the speed of only ONE fan. On your Splitter, that is the output with all four pins in it. The speed of any fan plugged into other output connectors simply is ignored and not reported anywhere.

A similar factor applies to your case fans. I cannot find the "included fan controller" in manuals for your case or the fans, so I can't see its details. But for any such device there ought to be ONE output connector or socket that is specially identified. It MAY say something line "CPU" but do NOT plug your CPU cooler system into that. DO plug into the special outlet one of those case fans because this is the ONLY output from the "Controller" that will send a speed signal back to the mobo host header.

Reactions: terrancez
Solution

terrancez

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2013
Thank you very much!! This is exactly the problem! I never paid attention to this before. After I plugged one of the radiator fan into the unused 4 pin connector, it showed RPM right away. For the lian li rgb fan controller, it's similar theory, it has 6 connectors on the board, although they are all 4 pin connectors, I think only the one marked Fan 1 is actually wired to the motherboard fan header, so after I moved one of the fans to Fan 1, RPM is showing up in BIOS. Thanks again!