[SOLVED] Kryonaut Extreme or Kryonaut

TekkenScrubPruime

Prominent
Jan 18, 2021
I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Corsair ICUE H150i Pro XT and Ryzen 5900x. What paste is better for every day use and overclocking with AIO? (also I would like it to last).
Also what is the best way to apply this thermal pastes?. Is 1g enough for 1 aplication ?

Thanks.

Solution
I dislike Kryonaut, it has a nasty habit of turning out defective and scratching the base/IHS. Which you will not find out about until later.

I dislike AS5 on an AIO pump, as it dries out (normally not an issue) after @ 200 heat cycles and the micro-vibrations from a pump head will eventually cause the dried out paste to 'powder' and become useless. Figure on repaste at least yearly. It's also a mediocre paste, pretty much right in the middle of the group as far as spreading, thermals, viscosity etc.

There's only 1 good way to paste a Ryzen. Spreader/credit card/spatula style. Very thin coat covering the entire IHS. Ryzens use multiple chips, spread out towards the sides under the IHS, unlike Intel or FX which uses a single chip...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Regular Kryonaut: It dries/burns out faster with sustained thermals around 80C or higher.
Combined with how AMD engineered the boost clocks on Ryzen 5000... pass.

I'm not familiar with Kryonaut Exteme, but it probably has an even shorter lifespan - this stuff was intended for LN2 overclocking, of which longevity is useless.
Due to this product being fairly new to the market, no one can attest a darn thing to its longevity... Wanna find out the hard way?

You'd likely be better off with Hydronaut(doesn't share the dry out weakness of Kryonaut), or a different brand of paste altogether.

Also what is the best way to apply this thermal pastes?
You're provided with a little spatula/spreader in which to cover the entire IHS.

TekkenScrubPruime

Prominent
Jan 18, 2021
Regular Kryonaut: It dries/burns out faster with sustained thermals around 80C or higher.
Combined with how AMD engineered the boost clocks on Ryzen 5000... pass.

I'm not familiar with Kryonaut Exteme, but it probably has an even shorter lifespan - this stuff was intended for LN2 overclocking, of which longevity is useless.
Due to this product being fairly new to the market, no one can attest a darn thing to its longevity... Wanna find out the hard way?

You'd likely be better off with Hydronaut(doesn't share the dry out weakness of Kryonaut), or a different brand of paste altogether.

You're provided with a little spatula/spreader in which to cover the entire IHS.

Would you recomend Artic Silver 5 over those 2? (I can't get hydronaut where I live)

TekkenScrubPruime

Prominent
Jan 18, 2021

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I dislike Kryonaut, it has a nasty habit of turning out defective and scratching the base/IHS. Which you will not find out about until later.

I dislike AS5 on an AIO pump, as it dries out (normally not an issue) after @ 200 heat cycles and the micro-vibrations from a pump head will eventually cause the dried out paste to 'powder' and become useless. Figure on repaste at least yearly. It's also a mediocre paste, pretty much right in the middle of the group as far as spreading, thermals, viscosity etc.

There's only 1 good way to paste a Ryzen. Spreader/credit card/spatula style. Very thin coat covering the entire IHS. Ryzens use multiple chips, spread out towards the sides under the IHS, unlike Intel or FX which uses a single chip dead-center. So the 'pea-sized blob' method which worked perfectly for years can leave gaps at the edges/corners and that'll leave no paste above the corners of some of the chips. The X method is somewhat ok, but has a nasty habit of having too much paste near the corners, allowing for run-out which then can possibly overflow down into the socket. Seriously not good with AS5.

Personally, I'd get online and order some decent paste, there's always somebody who'll ship to your location. Noctua NT-H1, Prolimatech PK-3, Arctic MX-4, Gelid GC-Extreme are my personal preferences. One good paste job with any of those will last a good 8 years ±.

Solution

TekkenScrubPruime

Prominent
Jan 18, 2021

There's only 1 good way to paste a Ryzen. Spreader/credit card/spatula style. Very thin coat covering the entire IHS. Ryzens use multiple chips, spread out towards the sides under the IHS, unlike Intel or FX which uses a single chip dead-center. So the 'pea-sized blob' method which worked perfectly for years can leave gaps at the edges/corners and that'll leave no paste above the corners of some of the chips. The X method is somewhat ok, but has a nasty habit of having too much paste near the corners, allowing for run-out which then can possibly overflow down into the socket. Seriously not good with AS5.

Personally, I'd get online and order some decent paste, there's always somebody who'll ship to your location. Noctua NT-H1, Prolimatech PK-3, Arctic MX-4, Gelid GC-Extreme are my personal preferences. One good paste job with any of those will last a good 8 years ±.
What about the stock termal paste that comes with the cooler or Arctic silver Ceramique then?

TekkenScrubPruime

Prominent
Jan 18, 2021

Ok thanks I finally got the Arctic MX-4, how would you sugest appling it? What should I use to spread it if I don't have a termal paste spreader.
Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok thanks I finally got the Arctic MX-4, how would you sugest appling it? What should I use to spread it if I don't have a termal paste spreader.
Thanks
Reread Karadjgne's 2nd to last post.
[I dislike Kryonaut, it has a nasty habit of turning out defective and scratching the base/IHS. Which you will not find out about until later.

Personally, I'd get online and order some decent paste, there's always somebody who'll ship to your location. Noctua NT-H1, Prolimatech PK-3, Arctic MX-4, Gelid GC-Extreme are my personal preferences. One good paste job with any of those will last a good 8 years ±.]

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Corsair ICUE H150i Pro XT and Ryzen 5900x. What paste is better for every day use and overclocking with AIO? (also I would like it to last).
Also what is the best way to apply this thermal pastes?. Is 1g enough for 1 aplication ?

Thanks.
Don't overthink it just use the stock paste. Their not enough difference to matter.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Old credit cards do well, cut it in half lengthwise, put a dab of paste in the center of the cpu and use the CC as an extended finger. Doesn't require much, just spread it evenly and thinly, like putting a really thin coat of butter on bread. By thin, I mean THIN, you should almost be able to read the cpu print through the paste.

TRENDING THREADS