Review LaCie 2big RAID 16TB Review: Big on Reliability and Capacity

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz
Those "cons" are not cons.
Noise - its running enterprise grade drives - you dont buy them for silence.
Blue LED - Tape/marker fixes that
Wall power - again, enterprise drives, speed, RAID - you really want all that at the mercy of a USB connection ? :)

neoculture

Honorable
Mar 12, 2018
Just once, I'd like NAS companies to think about heavy-duty home users.
  • I don't want a paltry "home"-level 2-disk RAID device. I need decent storage (4+ disks).
  • I don't want enterprise speed/throughput/reliability. This is a home device.

It got to the point that I built my own NAS using an old rack-mount chassis, 9 desktop HDDs, running on Linux software RAID-5. And it hasn't failed me since I turned it on back in 2003 (power outages notwithstanding).

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Those "cons" are not cons.
Noise - its running enterprise grade drives - you dont buy them for silence.
Blue LED - Tape/marker fixes that
Wall power - again, enterprise drives, speed, RAID - you really want all that at the mercy of a USB connection ? :)

Of course, acoustics don't really matter too much when you have thousands of high-speed fans blasting in an enterprise/datacenter setting. But, the thing is, that is not who this product is for. The device is for content creators. My mention of it was to bring attention to buyers that these are louder than normal drives. Using mostly SSD storage and various drives over the years, the noise level came as quite a shock. Imagine now you are using this device in your workflow with an Apple computer in a small office, hearing these things clink and clank and hum constantly can become quite distracting.

Blue LED: Yes, but I sit next to multiple Windows in sunny South Florida all day, this little blue light outshines the sun it seems and somehow manages to hurts my eyes when looking at it briefly. I went ahead and taped mine during the review, but it shouldn't be so bright and distracting to begin with...

The mercy of a USB connection? The USB-C standard can now offer more than enough juice and bandwidth nowadays to support it... Please, elaborate?

Just once, I'd like NAS companies to think about heavy-duty home users.
  • I don't want a paltry "home"-level 2-disk RAID device. I need decent storage (4+ disks).
  • I don't want enterprise speed/throughput/reliability. This is a home device.
It got to the point that I built my own NAS using an old rack-mount chassis, 9 desktop HDDs, running on Linux software RAID-5. And it hasn't failed me since I turned it on back in 2003 (power outages notwithstanding).
There are a lot of NAS solutions for home users that fit those requirements. I personally have a 4U, 27 drive, 100TB+ storage server. But, because of power consumption, I usually just run my main rig as my NAS for my other devices now.