[SOLVED] LaCie d2 10TB won't turn on

Oct 3, 2019
Hi - I have a 6 month old LaCie STFY10000400 10 TB d2 Professional Thunderbolt 3 hard drive, it's been great until this morning when I tried to access it after a few days away and it won't turn on. I have tried 2 different power cables, unplugged it and plugged it back in and tried holding the power button down for a few seconds. The blue light flashes very briefly and then nothing happens. HELP! I am on a Mac, Mojave OS. The drive is less than half full.

Solution
It is likely but 2-3 screws and some gentle prying to get it open, I'd guess...

I'd consult with 300 dollar recovery ASAP if this data is important...

Or, you might be able to buy a 2nd one (you might have contemplated this anyway if your current one died?) and swap drives....(no certainty there, and it would NOT work if drive was hardware encrypted by the enclosure's circuitry/PCB...
May 9, 2019
Important things. Don’t keep try power on this drive. It may make it worst.

You can check this status of your drive.
1, try to use apple device for record hard drive sounds. Start record and power on. Mic place touch hard drive. Record 1 min.
2, does it will stop spin after 2 mins?

I am no sure your meaning “won’t turn on” is hard drive can’t power up or not detect. (Carefully if hard drive not power on. May be pcb has short)
I think you better take hard drive out of enclosure for diagnostic if you need data in it.

Oct 3, 2019
Important things. Don’t keep try power on this drive. It may make it worst.

You can check this status of your drive.
1, try to use apple device for record hard drive sounds. Start record and power on. Mic place touch hard drive. Record 1 min.
2, does it will stop spin after 2 mins?

I am no sure your meaning “won’t turn on” is hard drive can’t power up or not detect. (Carefully if hard drive not power on. May be pcb has short)
I think you better take hard drive out of enclosure for diagnostic if you need data in it.

Hi - thanks for this, nothing happens at all when I turn it on so I can't check it from the computer, and I don't know enough about it to risk opening it up. It's still in warranty and I'm trying to get help from LaCie customer services but there is a lot of work on there that I need access to urgently!

It is likely but 2-3 screws and some gentle prying to get it open, I'd guess...

I'd consult with 300 dollar recovery ASAP if this data is important...

Or, you might be able to buy a 2nd one (you might have contemplated this anyway if your current one died?) and swap drives....(no certainty there, and it would NOT work if drive was hardware encrypted by the enclosure's circuitry/PCB...

Solution
May 9, 2019
Hi - thanks for this, nothing happens at all when I turn it on so I can't check it from the computer, and I don't know enough about it to risk opening it up. It's still in warranty and I'm trying to get help from LaCie customer services but there is a lot of work on there that I need access to urgently!

Better looking for data recovery service for help.