Question Lag spikes after GPU upgrade

swez

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Hi , i recently bought RX 6600 Sapphire pulse brand new upgrading from RX 470 4 gigs
And now i'm having higher fps but lag spikes with games i've had no problems with before the upgrade
I did clean install of the GPU drivers and all that .
My specs are
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-core 4.20 GHz OC
2 x 8GB DDR4 3200 Team Group T-Force Vulcan TUF
1 TB HDD and 650W Seasonic Focus Gold

I'm thinking it could be because the motherboard is with pci express 3.0 but not sure .
The temps of the CPU are fine , all kinds of stress tests are passed . I'm literally out of ideas

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
I'm thinking it could be because the motherboard is with pci express 3.0 but not sure .
IDK if that'll cause lag spikes, but it should lower the overall performance of it.

The stutters might not have been noticeable if the frame rate was a lil bit higher, in this case its bottlenecked by the motherboard and when the lows comes, it stutters. That's the only thing i can think of, other than GPU temps.

Reactions: CelicaGT
IDK if that'll cause lag spikes, but it should lower the overall performance of it.

The stutters might not have been noticeable if the frame rate was a lil bit higher, in this case its bottlenecked by the motherboard and when the lows comes, it stutters. That's the only thing i can think of, other than GPU temps.
Hmmm, wasn't the RX6600 only PCIe x8? I'm doubtful it would stutter but in a PCIe 3.0 interface it might cap performance. Not in a situation where I can go look but I recall something about this.

Reactions: zinkles

swez

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Oops, my bad.

OP: what are your regular FPS like when not stuttering? if its already in the 50-60 range, stuttering is expected sometimes, when it goes in the lows
The FPS are over a 100 like i said stutters in games i've had no problems in before
Dota 2 for example . The stutters are even worse in NFS 2015 or HEAT over a 100 fps too , 100 % GPU utilization and around 70 CPU in heat .