lag when searching for files by name

xhobbesx

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hello, i've had my laptop for about a year now, the HP Spectre x360 13in with 16gb ram with windows 10 home edition. my job requires me to download a lot of videos and images and they are all saved in my download folder. i normally find the files i need by typing the first few letters of the filename while in my download folder (not in the search box).

i've noticed a bit of lag lately when I try to search for files in my download folder by typing the first few letters of the filename. before i could type the first three letters and find my file but lately, when i type the first three letters, for example A followed quickly by L followed quickly by E, I am trying to find files that begin with ALE. However, instead of finding the file that begins with AL, I get taken to a file that begins with L or a file that begins with E. there is a lag period when i press A where the system takes me to the first file beginning with A but then when I quickly press L, it takes me to a first file beginning with L.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? In a similar fashion, when i delete a file, there is a bit of lag when i try open the next folder.

my computer speed doesn't seem to be an issue otherwise. I have tried indexing the folder but my work requires me to constantly download videos and pictures for editing so i'm sure indexing would help. Could it be a problem with a virus or malware? any recommendations? thank you.

Solution

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

You have too many files in one folder.

My Pictures folder has 19,000 files (I'm an artist) and started slowing way down.
Now that I have 280 folders the search speed is much faster.
Sort your downloads by date and move the older ones into another folder (Archives?).

Also right click on the drive > Properties > Allow files on this drive to be indexed, helps a bit too.
But Windows indexing all the time slows down your PC. It''s not needed on an SSD.

Solution