Question Lagging Low FPS Doing Anything

goldenexperience

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
For the past week or so my pc has been acting up a bit.
I could be using it playing games, or just watching stuff and out of nowhere it will begin to lag.
When I open a new tab, or when the windows task bar collapses or appears it comes out in slow motion..
When I go to turn off or restart my PC that seems to be a quick fix.

R7 2700
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700XT
Asus Rog Strix B-450F
(2x) 8gb Viper 3000mhz sticks
WD Blue 500GB SSD to boot OS

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and drag to one side so you can watch.

Let the system stabilize and then do as you normally do.

Look for what happens or changes just before or at the time lagging begins.

= = = =

Another thing you can do is look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the lags.

You can also use Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to determine if some process is involved.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

For example if some process appears or becomes more active when the lags begin then investigate that process.

goldenexperience

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and drag to one side so you can watch.

Let the system stabilize and then do as you normally do.

Look for what happens or changes just before or at the time lagging begins.

= = = =

Another thing you can do is look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the lags.

You can also use Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to determine if some process is involved.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

For example if some process appears or becomes more active when the lags begin then investigate that process.

Thanks for that info, since the lagging occurs randomly Ill have to wait to use these

Ralston18

Titan
Do not wait until the lagging occurs. Keep the window open so you can watch and discover what, if anything, precedes the lagging.

If lagging suddenly occurs without any observable resource changes then you can also look in Reliability History or Event Viewer for some related error code, warning, or informational event.

For example, some other background app becoming active or launching.

goldenexperience

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
Turns out somehow my Windows10 updates had been disabled dont remember doing that but it happened and I was behind a few updates which made my GPU act up and cause instability somehow. Forced updates to Windows 10 and haven't had an issue since.