[SOLVED] LAN goes down whenever ISP goes down...?

Jul 12, 2020
Hi. I'm a Spectrum user (and hater) and I am trying to figure something out... Whenever Spectrum goes down, so does my LAN. I have the Spectrum modem, the Spectrum Router, then my own wifi router and a switch because I have a ton of computers that all need access to the same LAN and/or the internet at all times. When I had Vivint, and their internet went down, it never affected my LAN.

So, can someone help me out to figure out why I lose my entire LAN whenever Spectrum goes down and how I can try and keep my LAN up and running even without Spectrum being online? It would be greatly appreciated. And before anyone suggests changing settings in the Spectrum hardware, I can't. I've tried 192.168.1.1 but there is no login screen, just a screen that gives me the IP6 address of the router and the MAC address. Very disappointed in Spectrum, but that is neither here nor there for this topic.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out with this issue.

Solution
Sounds like your spectrum equipment is the modem and router in one. The problem with this is that when the modem is having issues, so can the router. And the router is the main switch so if the router is down, so is the main switch.

A simple way around this is to have your lan plugged into your own switch and only one connection to the spectrum router. This way, when it goes haywire, your lan will still have ethernet connectivity.

Now, keep in mind that IP addressing is also handled by your router. And if it has some sort of ridiculously short client time like 15 minutes, then when your equipment goes to renew IPs when the router is down, it will not get an IP and will cease to work over IP. But just because it does not have an...
Sounds like your spectrum equipment is the modem and router in one. The problem with this is that when the modem is having issues, so can the router. And the router is the main switch so if the router is down, so is the main switch.

A simple way around this is to have your lan plugged into your own switch and only one connection to the spectrum router. This way, when it goes haywire, your lan will still have ethernet connectivity.

Now, keep in mind that IP addressing is also handled by your router. And if it has some sort of ridiculously short client time like 15 minutes, then when your equipment goes to renew IPs when the router is down, it will not get an IP and will cease to work over IP. But just because it does not have an IP does not mean it is disconnected from the lan as any other ethernet protocols will still work.

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Actually, the spectrum router and modem are two separate boxes. Is there any way that I can set up a backup dhcp/dns so that when the IPs expire they can still be renewed?