Status
Not open for further replies.

alton01

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Hi,

I have two routers setup as follows:

[Router2] ------ WDS -----> [Router1] ---->WAN ----> Internet

Wireless clients connecting to either router works fine and can access the internet. Only when I connect a wired client in Router 2 that my internet access doesn't work. I suspect that traffics in the LAN ports in Router2 all goes out to its WAN port which is not connected to anything. Is this the reason why they are not working? Is there a way that I can configure the LAN ports traffic to go through WDS?

Thanks.

Make sure router #2 has its own DHCP server disabled!

Frankly, I'm amazed WDS is working at all. WDS is NOT a wifi standard, but proprietary, so incompatibilities are VERY common, esp. between different manufacturers. But sometimes you get lucky and they happen to share the same implementation. Even when it does work, you’re often forced to use WEP, or even no wireless security at all (ugg).

alton01

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Yes, the DHCP server is disabled and yes, I am forced to use WEP. But that's fine. I am not transmitting any state secret here. And I try to change the password at least every 6 months.

Asus WL530g has no WDS with its original firmware. But there's a firmware upgrade which adds this function.

There’s no obvious reason the LAN ports wouldn’t participate in WDS since they and the wireless are usually bridged by default. But here again, we get into this issue of compatibility. For all we know, Asus implemented WDS to only bridge wireless and the WAN! Not being a wifi standard, nothing says they can’t. That’s why WDS can be so troublesome and difficult to diagnose. Since Asus implemented it, I’d run it by their tech support to determine its limitations and/or assumptions.

Plamen Vatev

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

You could try to set manual WAN settings:
    WAN
    IP Address: 192.168.5.220 Static IP
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.5.1
    DNS Server: your ISP DNS server ip1 , your ISP DNS server ip2

* I think wired clients get DNS Server from the WAN port

== OR ==

Try connecting the WAN port of the second router to its own LAN port! Wired clients will not be from the same subnet as wireless but will have internet.

* Both scenarios work for me

husky2331

Reputable
Mar 11, 2018

You could try to set manual WAN settings:
    WAN
    IP Address: 192.168.5.220 Static IP
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.5.1
    DNS Server: your ISP DNS server ip1 , your ISP DNS server ip2

* I think wired clients get DNS Server from the WAN port

== OR ==

Try connecting the WAN port of the second router to its own LAN port! Wired clients will not be from the same subnet as wireless but will have internet.

* Both scenarios work for me
7 years later and worked for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.