Lan to Lan Issue

mannyfresh79

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
I have two routers which I've configured a "lan to lan" network where DHCP is disabled on the secondary router. It works great in terms of IP Adresses and both routers can access devices everywhere in the network.

Router1 is upstairs (Motorola) and Router2 (secondary) is downstairs (Linksys). Both have unique SSIDs and the secondary is wired into the primary.

The problem is certain devices won't connect to the secondary router and others won't connect to the primary router. It's very strange.

If I am downstairs, I would like to use the wifi router2 which is located downstairs, but certain devices won't connect to it and I'm forced to use router1 which has a weaker signal.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the device already on the network. Can anyone explain how I can connect to the router of my choice or how to deal with this issue? (first world problems...)

Are you using the same SSID or different ones. You should be able to force the connection with different SSID.

If you are using the same the PC is too smart for its own good. It does not even think to look for a better signal until the first disconnects or gets to the point of unusable. If you were to intentionally disconnect it should look for the stronger signal and connect.

mannyfresh79

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Hi Bill. Thank you for your answer. Both the routers have unique SSIDs. Do you have any other ideas?

can you connect to the other router when choosing it from the list of available networks?

The problem is most likely the order in which the SSIDs are stored in your system. If both SSIDs are available to connect to, the system will try to connect to the SSID that is first in the order.

If you have Win7 or Win8, look for Managing Wireless Networks under the Network and Sharing Center. See if the system connects to the one router that shows up first in the list.