Question Laptop artifacts and not detected on external monitor

danieldextersanchez

Commendable
Nov 13, 2018
I dropped my phone on my laptop(on the keyboard) then the laptop screen seemed to be broken and its making static noises. I panicked and did a force shutdown. Then it was fine for like 2 or 3 months. Now the artifacts is coming back randomly. Happened 2 times now. The first time i restarted it, it doesn't even have display. I know its not screen related cause i tried plugging it on an external monitor but it doesnt even recognize it. Im going to try using it for gaming for an hour to test if it will come back. Is that a good idea? What causes this?

Laptop model is gigabyte g5 kc

Lutfij

Titan
Can you parse a picture of where exactly the phone dropped onto the laptop? It's possible that you knocked out the cooling assembly from under the motherboard, provided the cooler's design dictates that it runs under the keyboard, under the motherboard. You might want to try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then manually reinstall said GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. I'd also try and disassemble the laptop and try and inspect each square inch of the laptop, in case the phone knocked out an SMD.

As for your OS, what version of Windows 10 are you working with? Speaking of version are you able to get into BIOS and remain the indefinitely? BIOS version for your laptop at the time of writing?

danieldextersanchez

Commendable
Nov 13, 2018
Can you parse a picture of where exactly the phone dropped onto the laptop? It's possible that you knocked out the cooling assembly from under the motherboard, provided the cooler's design dictates that it runs under the keyboard, under the motherboard. You might want to try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then manually reinstall said GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. I'd also try and disassemble the laptop and try and inspect each square inch of the laptop, in case the phone knocked out an SMD.

As for your OS, what version of Windows 10 are you working with? Speaking of version are you able to get into BIOS and remain the indefinitely? BIOS version for your laptop at the time of writing?

I gamed on it and it was fine again. I tried shaking it too, to check for loose connections. It was fine, i dont get why it happens, totally random.

I dont think i can disassemble this by myself. Ill do a new windows install i guess and see if it happens again. Then maybe ill get it checked out at a shop. Thanks! The bios is stock bios. Ill check later