Question Laptop bezel popping off hinges when opening lid

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Just the past hour i noticed this, when i open it, pic related happens! I think it's the back of the laptop that's coming off or the top of the split you see here. I have inserted a link, yeah it's a bit dusty with the phone light on. Is this a big job to fix? i know as a fact that if i continue to use this laptop, it's only all down hill from here. :( I hope it's only a matter of opening it up and tightening a screw but i'd doubt it with my luck.

Model: Acer Predator Helios 300 g3-571

50sQvQG.jpg

thanks!

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's hard to tell unless someone is familiar with the model (you haven't told us anything about the laptop).

Most likely, if it's not something simple like a screw, it may be physical damage that's not practically repairable. A lot of times, that's just something that snaps into place and if it no longer does it, then it won't ever.

What is that, sand? How'd you get that much externally into the hinge?

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
It's hard to tell unless someone is familiar with the model (you haven't told us anything about the laptop).

Most likely, if it's not something simple like a screw, it may be physical damage that's not practically repairable. A lot of times, that's just something that snaps into place and if it no longer does it, then it won't ever.

What is that, sand? How'd you get that much externally into the hinge?
Oh, it's an acer predator helios 300 g3-571, forgot to mention. I wouldn't like to have to pay for a new front bezel or back lid of the laptop as they aren't all that cheap. I may eventually remove the front bezel and try to tighten screws but it probably is a clip which will be unfortunate. About the dust / sand, don't even ask because i have no idea. It's harder than it looks to clean it fully so i've just left it as it is, lol.

In all the laptops I have disassembled there is usually just a clip holding that together. The screws on the bottom are generally just keeping a back cover on. It's hard to tell from that one pic the exact area you are talking about. I do have two suggestions:
  1. Dust/sand like we are seeing in that pic needs to be eliminated.
  2. Google "acer predator helios 300 disassembly" for some decent videos on where you will need to look to check that loose area.

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I see that a lot when someone ran the wires going through the hinge incorrectly. Open it up and tidy up the wiring, then it should stay snapped down.

Took a look at the wires, they seem to be in place. It snaps but doesn't stay down. Opened the impaired hinge bezel up and 2 pieces came out. One of them may have been from me but it's a less important clip up above. Had a look around and because i'm unfamiliar with how it looked like when it was fine, so i just tried to see if anything was 'broken' in the problem area. It did seem a few plastics were exposed or severed, but not entirely sure. Added a few images. Sorry they're not entirely clear ;(

Would i be wasting my money if i got a new front bezel

Added a few images.

View: https://imgur.com/a/2QMsgYB

Now that you have it open, clean out the stuff on/in it. From the fact you said some plastic parts fell out and the look of the plastic bits, looks like something broke. If the parts don't flex around much when you open/close the lid and use the system, you can leave it as it is.