Question Laptop cooling broken?

Apr 28, 2019
So, I need help because my brother's laptop's coolers motor is broken, and my mom sent it to a person who is a CS Graduate and he told my mom that the laptop is completely fine and laptops has no coolers, and i told my mom that the laptop is not fine and said that its fine, and i tried testing the laptop and it overheats and shut's down, i didnt hear any cooler noise and told my mom its not fine, and she replied back that it's fine because laptops dont have coolers as said by the person, can you guys help?

Last edited:
Well, being a CS major does not indicate a knowledge of hardware (as exemplified here). Nor does a piece of paper automatically mean you are correct (though people seem to think so).

What model laptop? Im sure we can find a teardown of it and plainly see the cooling system in it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If that guy knows so little about the very basics of laptops, I'm surprised he "graduated". I know of no modern laptop that does NOT have a cooling fan system. Big clue: if the case has slots in the side or bottom for air to flow through, it HAS a fan to drive that air flow. No system would rely solely on convection currents of air through a case with only slots for cooling.

Two things can contribute to this problem. The most obvious is that the fan has failed (usually because of badly worn motor bearings) and must be replaced. Sometimes that can be tricky because most laptops require a very particular replacement unit, unlike desktop systems that can use very common fans. But sometimes there is a simpler cause that you can fix without replacement. Sometimes the air flow channel inside the laptop gets clogged with dust so badly that it interferes with the fan rotor and jams the fan. In those cases IF you can open the laptop's case safely (and can see how to re-close it!), you can access the entire air flow path and clean it out, then ensure that the fan can turn easily when you push it gently. If you can do that, close up again and try starting up to see if the fan works now.

Apr 28, 2019
I have opened the laptop before it was fixed, the fan motor is broken, when I try to turn on the laptop it goes normally, then after some minutes, the fan makes a rattling sound very loudly, even if I try to lift the fan it still makes rattling sounds.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the fan motor does actually run but makes a lot of noise (especially when cold), then VERY likely the bearings are badly worn and the fan unit must be replaced. Often with badly worn bearings the fan can turn, but not nearly fast enough to do the cooling job needed. If a local shop cannot supply that part you might have to ask ASUS how to get one, either directly from them of from some retailer they could recommend. I gather you can open and re-close the laptop, and I'm guessing you could do the replacement yourself if you had a new fan.

Jake Jacobs

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Hi Joshua Alano.My laptop model is also ASUS X510UF. When i tried to install Asus splendid,it says "could not find ICM file".After searching a lot in google i found that i need the original ICM file that came installed on the computer when it was bought. I don't have that original file.Can you send me that file.Thanks.