[SOLVED] Laptop CPU Fan Cable is too short

Feb 3, 2022
Hello Everyone,

New here and did not know where to turn. I have a Zotac mini PC. My fan has began to make some very weird noises. I went ahead and found the fan I needed on ebay which i received, however the cable to connect inside the computer is too short, by about like 8 inches or so.

I went ahead and posted a few pictures. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for trying to find an extension cable for this fan. It very small and Ive tried looking on ebay and cannot seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

Here is a link to the pics I took: View: https://imgur.com/a/DSjseIY

Thanks!

Solution
Cut and splice the old connector onto the new fan would be my advice. Cut in half, splice in additional wire length (twice the work)

Simple soldering tools will set you back a little, but then you will have them. Heatshrink tube to cover the splices, solder, soldering iron.

You can probably find that extension cable if you look long enough. Search for things like 4-pin Molex, JST, AMP connectors. Head over to electronics suppliers like Newark, Jameco, they will certainly have connectors you can look through to find a match and then narrow your search.

Just saying, the surefire way is to extend the cable yourself. You could end up spending a lot on a cable only to find out it doesn't fit.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cut and splice the old connector onto the new fan would be my advice. Cut in half, splice in additional wire length (twice the work)

Simple soldering tools will set you back a little, but then you will have them. Heatshrink tube to cover the splices, solder, soldering iron.

You can probably find that extension cable if you look long enough. Search for things like 4-pin Molex, JST, AMP connectors. Head over to electronics suppliers like Newark, Jameco, they will certainly have connectors you can look through to find a match and then narrow your search.

Just saying, the surefire way is to extend the cable yourself. You could end up spending a lot on a cable only to find out it doesn't fit.

Solution
Feb 3, 2022

Thank you! I will go with the first option to try and cut and splice myself

TRENDING THREADS