Question Laptop Crashes After First Restart

Jul 13, 2024
Hello,

I am struggling a little bit with my laptop (specs below; please let me know if you need more information).

i9-10850K CPU
64 GB of Ram
Windows 10
Clevo X170SM - G

My son tripped over the power cord and the laptop fell off the counter. I couldn't get it to start back up into windows. So I reinstalled a fresh version of windows 10 onto the laptop. The installation appears to go fine and after the install completes I am able to use the computer like normal. As soon as I restart the computer for the first time after the install the computer crashes as soon as I log in. I have tried multiple installs and the result is the same each time. I checked all the cables and tried to run the system with just a single stick of RAM to see if one of them was causing the issues but none of that helped.

I then bought a brand new hard drive think maybe something happened to it when it fell, but the result is the same when I install and restart on this drive as well.

My experience is limited but I am assuming that it isn't a hardware issue as the computer runs great until the first restart and I am using a brand new drive. I was hoping that you all might have some ideas on how to get this computer to run correctly.

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to open up the laptop and see if your motherboard was physically damaged. Probable a power delivery component got knocked out or perhaps the cooling assembly in your laptop has dinged up to prevent the cooling from working optimally.

Jul 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to open up the laptop and see if your motherboard was physically damaged. Probable a power delivery component got knocked out or perhaps the cooling assembly in your laptop has dinged up to prevent the cooling from working optimally.
That’s a bummer I’m looking through the case and nothing appears to be out of order.

Is there a reason the computer works well until I restart. If I leave it on the login screen the computer is fine. It’s only after I login.