Question Laptop doesn't power up related to ticking sound when plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DELLicious

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016
My Asus ROG 553V seems to have given up on me. It doesn't even react when pushing the power button. The only reaction I get is a ticking sound when the charger is plugged in. You can hear it for yourself.

Its last moments were intense;
I installed Popcorn Time about 1 hour earlier and decided to watch an episode of Mr. Robot, about half way my laptop froze.
In the middle of an intense stare on screen. For a second or 2 i thought it was part of the video but then I noticed there was no response from my laptop.

No cursor movement. No Ctrl+Alt+Del, nothing.So I unplugged my laptop from my projector, I noticed a quiet high pitch sound maybe from the m.2 but I'm not sure. Then It went off, without shutdown screen.
All this happened in a time span of about 10 seconds.

I then decided it may be a great idea to take a good sniff in the grill while it was still warm, not hot. It smelled inbetween electrical and 5% burned.
I don't normally sniff my laptop so no idea if that is to be expected or not.

Anyways, since it didn't seem to be hot I tried powering it on again. Nothing happened, not even the LEDs lighted up.
The only thing I noticed was a ticking sound when plugged in. I heard it before but after googling it I couldn't find anything similar to it and since it didn't cause any problems at the time and it didn't happen every time I forgot about it.

Here is a video of the sound it makes, it's really quiet, but on max volume I can hear it.
View: https://youtu.be/W3-6OVasy2s

Could this be related to my laptop being dead?

So potentially important:

• Windows updated and it installed on boot up
  • I then downloaded popcorn time from what I think is the official site.
  • I put down my laptop on the the floor at a 45° angle for maximum airflow even though if i put it on my lap the temperature wouldn't go higher than 60-70 C. (It was more against potential dust on the floor.) The charger was pushed in a bit due to the 45° angle but nothing too bad.
  • The ticking sound when plugged in happened sometimes, since at least 7 months ago, but I never had any problems.
  • I remember that this month the laptop shut down once after I manually increased the fan speed with the Asus ROG software. After that incident the laptop has been working fine and i put the speed back to Auto.

Last edited:
The temperature readongs does only apply to the chip/spot location where the censor is located. There is a lot of other electric circuits not being monitored in any ways, such as voltage regulators.

That, along with the reported smell, is a tell-tell sign that something inside are fried.

Reactions: DELLicious

Sean Green

Prominent
Feb 20, 2020
My Asus ROG 553V seems to have given up on me. It doesn't even react when pushing the power button. The only reaction I get is a ticking sound when the charger is plugged in. You can hear it for yourself.

Its last moments were intense;
I installed Popcorn Time about 1 hour earlier and decided to watch an episode of Mr. Robot, about half way my laptop froze.
In the middle of an intense stare on screen. For a second or 2 i thought it was part of the video but then I noticed there was no response from my laptop.

No cursor movement. No Ctrl+Alt+Del, nothing.So I unplugged my laptop from my projector, I noticed a quiet high pitch sound maybe from the m.2 but I'm not sure. Then It went off, without shutdown screen.
All this happened in a time span of about 10 seconds.

I then decided it may be a great idea to take a good sniff in the grill while it was still warm, not hot. It smelled inbetween electrical and 5% burned.
I don't normally sniff my laptop so no idea if that is to be expected or not.

Anyways, since it didn't seem to be hot I tried powering it on again. Nothing happened, not even the LEDs lighted up.
The only thing I noticed was a ticking sound when plugged in. I heard it before but after googling it I couldn't find anything similar to it and since it didn't cause any problems at the time and it didn't happen every time I forgot about it.

Here is a video of the sound it makes, it's really quiet, but on max volume I can hear it.
View: https://youtu.be/W3-6OVasy2s

Could this be related to my laptop being dead?

So potentially important:

• Windows updated and it installed on boot up
  • I then downloaded popcorn time from what I think is the official site.
  • I put down my laptop on the the floor at a 45° angle for maximum airflow even though if i put it on my lap the temperature wouldn't go higher than 60-70 C. (It was more against potential dust on the floor.) The charger was pushed in a bit due to the 45° angle but nothing too bad.
That ticking sounds to me like your harddrive it may be fried.

DELLicious

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016
The temperature readongs does only apply to the chip/spot location where the censor is located. There is a lot of other electric circuits not being monitored in any ways, such as voltage regulators.

That, along with the reported smell, is a tell-tell sign that something inside are fried.
Do you have any clue what it could be?
Is there any component known that makes a constant beat when the laptop is plugged in? Could it be some kind of safe to prevent further damage? It seems like no power is allowed through. Neither from the charger nor the battery.

The ticking sound when plugged in happened sometimes, since at least 7 months ago, but I never had any problems.

I remember that this month the laptop shut down once after I manually increased the fan speed with the Asus ROG software. After that incident the laptop has been working fine and i put the speed back to Auto

Last edited:

DELLicious

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016
That is a guess. I assume you have ears and are able to approximately locate the sound source. I certainly can't do 🕵️‍♀️
It's coming from the upper right corner/upper middle, approximately where the fan is located like i have shown in the video. But I doubt it's that since the sound also happened when the fan was turned on and my laptop was still working for months to come like I said previously. The ticking happens even when the laptop is completely off. No reason for the fan to tick when the laptop isn't on is what I would think. I may be wrong.

joamateuspt0

Commendable
Jan 13, 2018
Sorry for not bringing any proper solution. I have the same exact model, and the same problem. When plugged makes that clicking noise. I've sent the pc to Asus just 1 mere month after the warranty ended and they said the pc fried(???) and it would cost way too much to be profitable. I still have it here at my home today I remembered of it and started disassembling everything and I still didn't find where it got fried or where does the ticking come from...

If you have a multimeter check that the power jack cable is working and not shorted , its the cable which you connect power cable in : https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Asus-R...-DC-POWER-JACK-HARNESS-CABLE-US-/222829297113

If you dont have multimeter just buy new cable , search for Asus gl553v power jack cable like i provided in the link. Change that first then try again.

EDIT; if you tested it with multimeter and its fine then dont buy new, there might be burned components on the pcb near the power jack cable connector. (still sometimes fixable)

There also might be component which is shorted out like HDD / ssd, monitor , you can test these by disconnecting HDD and trying to plugin the power, DONT short anything when your testing.

first start with getting new power jack cable and change that,

Status
Not open for further replies.