[SOLVED] Laptop doesn't recognize monitor after blue screen

tominjsh69

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017
I have a monitor connected to my laptop with an HDMI cable. Has been working well for months. Had a video on my laptop screen and was playing a video game on the monitor as the laptop blue screened. When it automatically restarted, it didn't recognize the monitor anymore. Monitor says there's no HDMI signal from my device. Have tried unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable on both ends as well as restarting the laptop, nothing worked. What could be the issue and how would I go about fixing it?

Solution
the cause of the problem is the BSOD on the laptop. Not the monitor, its just the output device. If its not getting HDMI it means laptop isn't sending it.

What make/model laptop is it?
I have to assume the CPU runs the screen and the onboard GPU runs the Monitor via hdmi, I don't think one GPU can do both at once.

in device manager, do you have any errors next to devices? curious if both GPU show up.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the cause of the problem is the BSOD on the laptop. Not the monitor, its just the output device. If its not getting HDMI it means laptop isn't sending it.

I have to assume the CPU runs the screen and the onboard GPU runs the Monitor via hdmi, I don't think one GPU can do both at once.

in device manager, do you have any errors next to devices? curious if both GPU show up.

Solution

tominjsh69

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017

It's the Lenovo ideapad Y700 15-ISK with the GTX 960M. It actually ran the monitor on the integrated CPU graphics. Tried to change it in the settings to the dedecated graphics card while the monitor was still working, because it's a 240hz monitor but the CPU could only run it at 120hz, however it wasn't possible or at least I didn't figure out how to do so. It also runs the laptop display on the CPU.
Checked device manager, couldn't find any errors. Under display adapters both the CPU graphics and the dedicated card show up.

tominjsh69

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017
It works! I disabled the CPU integrated graphics in the device manager and once I re-enabled it, the monitor just light up and the laptop started recognizing it again. I guess the old "Have you tried turning it off and on again" always works. Still runs both displays on the CPU tho.

Reactions: Colif