Question Laptop dont start efter shutdown

hanoakly

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
Hello.

I have a HP Probook G2 that is giving me gray hairs.
It started a while back when it didn't want to start. I got it to start after a few tricks, however now the computer only restarts if I remove the CMOS battery.
I have done the following.

• Reset CMOS.
  • Reset CMOS to factory setting.
  • Reset CMOS security setting to factory setting.
  • Flash the BIOS to the newest version, and reset CMOS again.
  • Changed AC adapter.
  • Run the computer with and without the main battery.
  • Power rest the computer, remove battery and AC adapter and pressing power buttom for 30s
  • Running the computer without RTC battery.
  • Force power off dont work, pressing power buttom for 10s
The computer only starts if I remove the RTC battery (reset CMOS).
Runnig the computer works just fine. Keyboad, mousepad, screen, SSD all fine as long as I don't turn the computer off.
I can restart the computer.
When I turn the computer off I can't restart the computer unless I reset CMOS.

Anyone got an idea what I should do?

Solution
I have replaced the CMOS battery. The old was dead, used 2 new battery with the same result. MB looks fine as far as I can see. If the MB is shorting, which is one of aspects i'm considering, the computer will be recycled. I would like to get the computer working again.

Lutfij

Titan
See if you can replace the CMOS battery with a fresh cell. In retrospect, if your CMOS battery being removed allows you to operate on the laptop then there's probably something worse under the hood, like a faulty motherboard whereby the circuitry is shorting.

hanoakly

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
I have replaced the CMOS battery. The old was dead, used 2 new battery with the same result. MB looks fine as far as I can see. If the MB is shorting, which is one of aspects i'm considering, the computer will be recycled. I would like to get the computer working again.

Solution