Laptop Equivalent Build

silver262107

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Hello! I've been trying to create a desktop that out preforms this laptop here ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-dark-gray-blue-gray/6643023.p?id=1219229364828&skuId=6643023 ) while staying at or below 380 dollars. The pc is for my brother, and while he plays games that require very little processing power, such as minecraft or tf2, I would still like to have the ability to upgrade the pc in the future, meaning, perhaps, throwing in a dedicated GPU to run crossfire with the apu, or tossing in an extra stick of ram. This is what I came up with. This includes the desktop, a monitor, and an OS.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJ8trH

http://goo.gl/goYy04

http://www.licenseregion.com/microsoft-windows-7-professional-32-64-bit-complete-package-1/

Tell me what you think. I'm relatively new to the pc building world, having only built one, and would love some feedback from more experienced builders. Like I said, must be below 380 (Can go over with rebates.), and must run at the same level, or at a higher level than the laptop previously mentioned. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for your time! (There may be issues in this, or things I have left out. If I have left something out, ask me about it, and I will get back to you.)

silver262107

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I'd like to add that, while the cpu isn't quite as powerful, the integrated graphics in nearly any amd apu outperform intel hd 4000 graphics, which I assumed would be more beneficial during gaming sessions. I also only intended on adding another stick of ram for my brother, who the pc is for, in the future as a cheap upgrade, before, perhaps, adding a dedicated gpu.

silver262107

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Unfortunately, I have heard many times to stray away from cases with psus included, as most of the time the psu is complete trash. Not only that, but I would like it to be 80+ certified to save a bit of money in the long run. Plus, I would like to be able to upgrade in the future, meaning I would be putting expensive parts into this machine, and a sub-par power supply frying my components would not be fun. Due to this, I cannot seem to save any more money to spend on the hard drive. Thank you for the recommendations though. If I seemed to have over looked something, or you have a rebuttal, please feel free to post a reply. Thanks!

silver262107

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I will certainly look into that used wireless adapter. If I could save a few more dollars, I could buy the 1 TB hard drive you posted earlier. How do you feel about a used/refurbished monitor? You think that is a good idea? I figured a new monitor would probably be a better bet, because you never know what could go wrong with a used monitor. Kind of like buying a used graphics card, right?

By the time you go to add a graphics card, the 350w PSU you are purchasing won't be able to power anything. 350w is just barely enough for a basic system. Consider that the power supply is losing 5% max capacity each year and it's not going to be very apt for gaming at all.

The case w/ the PSU included is a cooler master case with a cooler master PSU. They are a trusted PSU brand, you aren't getting some super value PSU. It's not a bargin bin case or power supply. It's a very good deal, usually a case w/PSU cost $45 with a junk PSU.

I would buy it through amazon, yes. As stated they have a very good policy on used items. A recent example, I purchased a new sound card that stated like new condition. It came with some dust on it and they gave me 20% back on the item.

I would actually prefer a used monitor. That way I know whether or not it already has dead pixels and it takes the edge off knowing it works. If it doesn't match the description, amazon has always been able to compensate. It's way newegg gets allot less of my business. They don't take care of their customers.

silver262107

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Thanks man. If I can squeeze any more money out of this, by purchasing a used monitor or finding a random windows 7 code around the house, I'll put it into the apu. You've been a huge help.

silver262107

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Nice monitor. Turns out, after further inspection, my monitor didn't even have a dvi port, so it wouldn't be able to connect to my mobo anyway. xD Thanks for yours. On the windows 7 note, I saw that link, but it looks like it only comes with the disc. No code. (Which is kind of essential. xD)