Question Laptop Fan Screeching Loudly

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Okay, so, I've only had this laptop for`about 2 years, granted it was a floor model. A while back I broke the video card, the sounds card too lol, so that might be why it's acting up, but, just as of today the fan has been making very loud noises. It started out it was just clicking, but now it's practically screeching off an on, as if something is stuck in it. I read somewhere that it could be caused by heat, but my MSI Dragon Center said it was only 60 degrees celcius and it was still making the noise.

I'm worried, because this laptop is my bread and butter, I can't exactly afford to just go out and buy a new one. I bought a cooling pad, just in case, but should I be worried the whole lappy is going to fry or something? I am assuming the fan is just gonna fry eventually... I just hope it doesn't take my whole laptop with it lol. Does anyone have any advice? I've heard I should shoot some air into the fan to clean it, but I don't know where to buy a cannister of that, I'm currently in Vietnam and it's hard to find some things.

JovanDrukara

Commendable
Jul 31, 2019
Your cpu fan is probably going to die soon. You should take your laptop to computer service and replace fan with new one. Second solution is to take it to the service too, so they could open it and see what is causing the problem. Maybe it is dry and need fuel, or is damaged.

Reactions: Mashimaro7

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Your cpu fan is probably going to die soon. You should take your laptop to computer service and replace fan with new one. Second solution is to take it to the service too, so they could open it and see what is causing the problem. Maybe it is dry and need fuel, or is damaged.
Well, The fan died. It got very loud and then just silent. Dragon center says the CPU fan is 0 RPM... But thankfully the cooler is doing it's job. How much does a replacement cost? I don't have a lot of money, and this laptop is my bread & butter.

Weirdly enough, the temperature is LOWER than it was before I bought the cooling pad. I think the fan was on it's way out awhile ago haha

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
best solution is to take it appart and check the product number on the fan. then you type this number on ebay. you will probably find the spare part easily. probably around 10-20$
Oh okay, let's see if I can find the right screwdriver in Vietnam XD

Should I be too worried about using it for the next week or so? This fan seems to be keeping the temperature down, but I can't tell, Dragon Center never goes above 95 degrees, even when the fan worked it got to 95 degrees many times. Maybe my computer has a safeguard for when it gets too hot, it slows the CPU?

JovanDrukara

Commendable
Jul 31, 2019
Oh okay, let's see if I can find the right screwdriver in Vietnam XD

Should I be too worried about using it for the next week or so? This fan seems to be keeping the temperature down, but I can't tell, Dragon Center never goes above 95 degrees, even when the fan worked it got to 95 degrees many times. Maybe my computer has a safeguard for when it gets too hot, it slows the CPU?
You can use it, but when cpu reaches very high temperature laptop will shut down. Also high temperatures on cpu causes it to throttle and results are loss in system performance. Replace your fan asap!

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
You can use it, but when cpu reaches very high temperature laptop will shut down. Also high temperatures on cpu causes it to throttle and results are loss in system performance. Replace your fan asap!
I actually got an unexpected cheque and ended up buying a new laptop, I'll probably sell the old one if I can make anything off of it haha. But I also heard the i7 7700 could withstand higher temperatures than previous processors. Well, my old one wasn't very good, frankly it's a miracle it survived as long as it did, 2 years ago I accidentally put the usb that was supposed to go into my harddrive case into the usb slot, fried the GPU among other things lol.