Laptop for gaming output on HDMI

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I'm looking for a portable gaming solution when I go visit family, where there is a HDMI television and spare peripherals.

My 1st thought was it need to fit in my backpack and be < 20 lb, preferably < 15 lb (I don't take coach bus, so bringing a desktop isn't an option); I don't think the backpack is special, 4 x 2 L bottles can fit in it, 3 vertical and 1 horizontal on top. At first I thought of getting a small PC like a Mini-ITX , Mini-PC (ie: GIGABYTE BRIX) or NUC. I then realized if something were to happen at my home, I'd like to go to restaurant and play there, so laptop it is.

So using the laptop display and inputs is necessary, it can be sub-par as playing on a HDMI display is my main focus; if it also can support multiple regular monitors, all the merrier, in case something happened to my desktop. I'm satisfied playing old games like Fallout: New Vegas, and not even at high settings (medium will do). It need to have have good heat dissipation as I don't have AC and it can get hot where I live (as I'm writing this at the end of the Climate section there's 2 color-coded tables which can be shown (on the right of the grey bar click show)). I'd like for it to be affordable; I think it could be possible since it's for playing old games and not needing good display nor keyboard nor touch-pad (the latter 3 just need to be adequate as the vast majority on it should be with external ones). Oh! Possibly it can support Bluetooth and I wouldn't need a dongle to use external wireless peripherals.

Any suggestion?

Thank you kindly

Last edited:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
All gaming laptops have bluetooth and most are well under 15 lbs, around 5 being the average, but those with a stronger gpu are likely to be heavier.

If looking for something bang for the buck, you can wait for the Acer Nitro 5 (2019). It's an amazing laptop.

However, for older games, any Ryzen-5 laptop will be adequate. like Lenovo Ideapad 530s 15.6" or Dell inspiron 5575 15.6". Both have HDMI connectivity.

NOTE: Peripherals that even come with an adapter are meant for desktops (not laptops), but a logitech unifying adapter lets you connect up to 6 devices.

Last edited:

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
All your suggestions are out of my budget. Please note I mentioned
I'd like for it to be affordable; I think it could be possible since it's for playing old games and not needing good display nor keyboard nor touch-pad [...]
and also
I'm satisfied playing old games [...] and not even at high settings (medium will do).
My max is 700 CAD (currently 531.249 USD) and preferably < 500 CAD (currently 379.413 USD).

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Anything that has no relation to what come out of HDMI can have minimal quality, if you don't reply I'll assume by "everything" you meant things related to HDMI output.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Nothing to worry about picture quality, as long as you have HDMI. It will be great.

Even VGA works pretty well that's why most 1366 x 768 monitors don't even have HDMI port.

What actually makes HDMI is better is the ability to support higher resolutions and the way it works (on or off).

but obviously anything on a 32 inch 1080 p TV won't look as good as on a 15 inch 1080p laptop.

Last edited: