Laptop for Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiblod

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
I'm looking for a replacement for my old Dell. My main task is programming (Eclipse etc.), so I would like to have 16 GB RAM. Also, reliability is very important for me, that's why I used to have business or office laptops.

1. What is your budget?
~800 EUR

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-

3. What screen resolution do you want?
15"

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. I will use in primary in home office

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games at all, so I don't need a graphic card

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Programming in Java

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not important

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
>5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not important

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I had good experience with Dell. I also consider Lenovo, as it is ranked high in many ratings. Maybe also Asus and Samsung.

13. What country do you live in?
Germany

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Campus laptops (for students) are welcomed. Also, I would like to be able to clean the fan myself, without assembling the whole notebook.

Thank you!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, with that list of requirements I would just head to Dell/Lenovo/HP, perhaps ASUS and look for deals.

Most laptops in that price range that are business oriented will probably come with 8GB of memory, however, that is a quick and easy upgrade in most situations. Just make sure the model you pick out has replaceable memory, or pick one with it pre-installed.

Most laptops will come with an mSATA or or NVMe drive these days, typically no smaller than 256GB, so that will be fine.

https://www.cyberport.de/notebook-u...-14-fhd-300nits-i5-1135g7-16gb-512gb-dos.html

https://www.cyberport.de/notebook-u...10210u-16gb-256gb-ssd-dos-campus-2d207es.html

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All three are pretty decent.

Thinkpads are probably higher quality then the Inspiron.

AMD vs Intel...AMD certainly has the processing edge, and their graphics are nothing to ignore. Intel's Xe graphics is a little new, so not sure how well that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.