[SOLVED] Laptop has no actual sound from both internal speaker and 3.5mm jack

Mandalord

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Hi.

I have a Sony Vaio SVF14A16SGS, running Windows 10. I have Realtek HD Audio driver installed, both the version on Sony website (which only recommended for Windows 8), and the lastest version on Realtek website. Both does not work.

The symptom: There is no actual sound from both internal speaker and 3.5mm jack (when I plug Headphone in). The Sound control panel still says there is sound playing (there is sound signal showing when playing youtube video). Device manager shows the device works properly. Volume mixer goes to max, nothing is muted, all enhancements are disabled. Everything looks normal, except there is no actual sound.

I have openned the laptop to see inside, and confirm that the sound chip is indeed Realtek, and both internal speakers' cables are plugged in their sockets.

There is sound playing on my TV when I plug it in using HDMI cable, but that's probably not relevant (I'm not sure).

I'm at my wit's end. Can you guy point me some directions to check? Thank you.

Solution
VAIO website does not have any driver for Windows 10 either
with the latest driver package they have available;
check what OS it was intended for,
before installing right-click on the installer .exe,
select "Properties" > Compatibility tab > select the originally intended OS and "Apply",
then run the installer.

this can help with changing file locations and parameters to run better with Windows 10.

Mandalord

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
this probably means your default device is set to this HDMI output so other devices are being ignored.

show a screenshot of the Control Panel > Sound 'Playback' tab showing all devices.
Nope, I did make sure to choose the correct device for sound output (Realtek HD..., not the Sony TV...). I also unplug the HDMI to double make sure.

Thank for the help!

Edit: I'm going to sleep. Tomorrow I will try another OS (Ubuntu on a USB stick) to see if the problem is in the OS.

Last edited:

Mandalord

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
one thing i notice that this Playback tab shows is that an "HP" device is selected as Speakers.
are you using an external monitor?
No. The only thing plugged in is power. No bluetooth device either. I don't know why the computer name it that way.

I check the sound further by running the laptop with Lubuntu 19.04 and Hirenboot, both booting from USB stick. Still no sound, even though the Hiren shows sounds signal on Sound control panel.

depending on the year this system was produced;
it's possible it's drivers were not meant to work with Windows 10.
you can try setting compatibility settings on the driver install package based on what was the intended OS.

you can try contacting Sony, but VAIO systems have been out-of-date for some time now.

VAIO website does not have any driver for Windows 10 either
with the latest driver package they have available;
check what OS it was intended for,
before installing right-click on the installer .exe,
select "Properties" > Compatibility tab > select the originally intended OS and "Apply",
then run the installer.

this can help with changing file locations and parameters to run better with Windows 10.

Solution