Question Laptop has trouble booting, even after I revert the bios and use a fresh copy of Windows 11 with a different hard drive.

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
I made an edit to the registry editor in windows 11 by adding a key called "DisableAntiSpyware" under Windows Defender to disable antimalware service executable permanently. I also attempted to insert a batch file in the windows start-up folder to get a program to close automatically 60 seconds after launch.

After reboot, start-up keeps freezing on the first Microsoft screen you see just after POST. I found that if I enter the bios, (change nothing) and "save changes and shut down", that the OS would sometimes load when I booted the laptop back up. I say sometimes because it would also sometimes go into repair mode (which always fails to fix the issue).

In the recovery menu I have also run the windows disk scan, used CMD to run more scans like sfc/scannow. I have also reverted the OS to an old save before I made the registry changes. I also reflashed the bios to an earlier version, removed wall power, main battery and cmos battery.

I even created a new Windows 11 instance from a usb boot drive on a hard drive and replaced the original NVMe OS with the new OS on a SATA 2.5 HDD.

The fresh OS still hangs on the first start-up screen, even for the new OS and new BIOS. The NVMe module is completely removed. I also checked the new OS on a different laptop, where it didn't have this issue.

Now I outright can't access the old OS because when I try the BIOS "save changes and shut down" trick, it just reboots into repair mode, which is a dud. Sometimes the blue screen of death comes up and gives stopcode: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (only for the old OS so far).

With the new OS it is also getting harder to boot as it is also increasingly responding to my BIOS trick by also going into repair mode. Repair mode is a dud because it forces a restart, which immediately fails without the bios trick being done first.

I have removed, replaced and reset every piece of software and hardware from this laptop which distinguishes it from a brick. If this problem was a living organism, it would be bacteria living in the arctic tundra, because no matter what I do, It has survived somehow.

And by the way, my BIOS is very basic and it has hardly any options likely to make a difference. I did however reset it to defaults and disabled fast boot for good measure, to no avail.

My laptop is the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-43

Any ideas?

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Even if I switched to use a sata ssd drive for the new OS, that would mean I loose my files on the original OS and might not fix the freezing issue anyway. I also know that the nvme drive hardware itself is not damaged because exactly the same freeze occurs at exactly the same time on the HDD, and because I can now read the nvme drive from the OS installed on the hdd.

And yes, I completly removed the failed nvme. Freeze issue persists on the lone hdd.
As stated above, I was later able to boot the nvme alongside the hdd os.