Laptop Hunters Episode 4: $2,000 for Video Editing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
This ad was weak compared to the others. The salesperson should have told her that she should do her work on a desktop. No need to edit movies while at Starbucks. She would have a killer i7 machine for that money.

Once again the mac people make me laugh.

Keep up the good work.

Good one Drrap.....if you see gum on the street, don't pick it up, it's not free candy.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
She overspent, and was not really looking at what you need for Video Editing. She particularly accentuated the GPU. Any modern mid-range GPU should have no problem for what its used for in Video Editing. What matters is the processor for encoding, and maybe the ram although anything over 2GB is alright. Also HDD space could matter depending on the quality she needs.

However, editing infront of a desk is far superior then a laptop. Since you get a far more powerful machine, and are in a position that forces you to concentrate while using tools and a screen resolution thats ideal for working effeciently. You can also probably get Adobe Creative Suite for the money you would save getting a desktop instead.

G

@falchard
i totally agree that video editing is mainly for desktops (because of the help of the GPU to do the encoding), but then again, isn't this commercial series called "LAPTOP hunters"?

Being that, getting a desktop is not an option.

On the other hand, she might not want to edit video in starbucks...but she could actually do it in her office, home and...pretty much everywhere else she needs (as long as she has some battery).

ssr

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
i m not a fan boy at all of any
but the truth is
gaming on laptop = sucks and if ur doing so then ur not real gamer
video editing on laptop = this sucks more then gaming if i m hving a company of media creation then i wud fire the person who is doing so

i cant bliv that ppl here r pulling legs of each other they dont even try to understand that apple or ms both just wanna increase there consumer base

ppl here r behaving like painted on abs looks real to them
come on friends y dont u try to live in reality
@keither5150
i do agree with u laptop is no alternate to desktop when its come to power punch

foot note
** and i hv no problem with my family they love me a lot and i love them if u can't differentiate b/w reality and painted abs then its ur problem. we laugh a lot on these mac pc ads and enjoy them.**
ssr/drrap

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]blasko229[/nom]Is this article supposed to be scoffing the PC ads for attempting to point out the value of PCs? I think the negative comments in these MS ads towards macs are much less immature (if not non-existent) compared to the overstatements in the anti-pc ads by Apple. This series from MS seem to even call the macs pretty and popular with teens which is something of a compliment. If we're going to critique what MS is doing by trying to modestly defend themselves, then where are all the critiques of the negative Mac ads on Tom's?[/citation]

I actually view that somewhat of an insult.
From statistics I've seen, the largest market audience for Macintosh for computers is actually the middle-aged to elderly, compared to Windows for the youth. I wish I could say Unix for something, but sadly enough, it's not popular enough. It gets its own compliments by being free and awesome.

Windows fanboy, willing to use MAC (almost bought a mac once), and have used Unix several times.

Macs just aren't that cool.
Laptops aren't cool.
For some people, the power of a desktop is just a better option.

Why doesn't Windows hit up the PC vs. Laptop argument?

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jemlinus[/nom]Why do people think that you need powerful CPU for a video editing? You can get things done with core 2 duo like core 2 quad does with a bit more time. ppl aren't going to make Toy Story 3 with a laptop.[/citation]
lol
I'm sitting here browsing the internet for an hour waiting for sony vegas to finish rendering a 7 minute 720p (yes, even youtube supports HD video now) video on my slow ass dual core

Ellimist

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Hehe i got a macbook and this is my third mac laptop. use OSX all the time. the thing when i take it to lans runs crysis no worries at native res. i mean come on. the 9400 in it is awesome.

in this ad i like how portability was really important and yet the mac being one of the most portable laptops around with good specs and a gfx card that can actually play games is passed over merely because standard it has 2gb of ram? and then she picks that brick? i mean wtf? if your gonna pass over the mac and portability is important at least pick something that is portable.

also i find it funny how people say its *exactly* the same hardware as a pc. i didn't know all pc's used the EFI interface these days? generalize much?

also the mac pro can't be compared to a normal desktop pc but has to be compared to a server as thats the kind of hardware thats in it. its not designed to be a desktop pc thats what the imac or whteva its called now is for. and lets face it that thing is a pos. its a laptop acting as a desktop.

oh and my desktop pc is wicked for games and uses vista so i'm not mac fanboy. I prefer their laptops for the portability i get going to uni and the after sales support they provide. after all its not all about the hardware with a laptop as you have to balance aesthetics and usability with hardware that does the requirements you need.

in these ads i don't think anyone of them has got a laptop that is sufficient to their needs and in most cases a mac probably isn't for them anyway as they are looking for desktop replacement really because they want to work or tasks on them that require a desktop in the end to be done properly.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Why did she only look at the Macbooks, you can get the Macbook Pro for $2000 and it comes with the 9600M + 9400M, 2 GB's of RAM, and 2.4 GHz CPU. I a PC guy but it seems that Microsoft conveniently left that computer out of the add.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
LOL $2000 for a Macbook Pro with 2GB or RAM? and sad 9600M + 9400M video?... HA, HA! I almost spit out my coffee when I read that... Its a good thing Microsoft left it off, Apple would have been even more embarrassed.

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
1: if you feel the need to participate - please type in English, not lolspeek or what the f5ck ever you call that short-form run-on B.S. kthxbai

2:Anyone who has ever edited 5 seconds of HD video will tell you - a very powerful pc is required. Did I say 'very'? Because I meant 'extremely'. My (desktop)quad-core with 8 GB RAM and a 1 GB 8800GT struggles (and sometimes fails) to edit HD video. Besides- even if if the internals could manage to do the work, looking at it on a small screen is just amateur. Seriously.

waylandprod

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
They didn't just say that PC's were better at editing video... WOW! Go to any film school and see who has less problems. Those who use PC, or those who use MAC. I don't care what you use, AVID, Pro-Tools, Final Cut Pro, Or Premiere Pro... Avid crashes more on PC... Pro Tools never cooperates with competing hardware conflicts... Premiere Pro is great, I will admit that... but I love the Apple Pro Res Codecs and the Avid HD Codecs....
Oh and good luck with editing 1080p with that laptop..
OH and BTW... the GPU doesn't really do much in most editing software. It is used for some of the interface, but doesn't really contribute a whole hell of a lot.
Also... whoever said Pinnacle Studio is comparable to use has probably never really edited more than a youtube video.

ssr

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]AngryClown[/nom]1: if you feel the need to participate - please type in English, not lolspeek or what the f5ck ever you call that short-form run-on B.S. kthxbai2:Anyone who has ever edited 5 seconds of HD video will tell you - a very powerful pc is required. Did I say 'very'? Because I meant 'extremely'. My (desktop)quad-core with 8 GB RAM and a 1 GB 8800GT struggles (and sometimes fails) to edit HD video. Besides- even if if the internals could manage to do the work, looking at it on a small screen is just amateur. Seriously.[/citation]
good one

waylandprod

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
In addition to my comment... there are some quadro GPUS that will enhance the render times based on a plugin... but I doubt anyone would have that $1500 GPU in a laptop.

joshwood123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
haha all these people trying to defend mac have no understanding of computer hardware at all, and its idiots like them who keep apple and there over priced crap afloat...
i cant wait for the Zune HD, then i finally stop using itunes for GOOD! POS slows down my custom built quad core 8gb ram cpu... apple is crap, in a white, aluminum box. if i want crap in a white box, i'll do it myself, and not pay $2000 for it =)

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]waylandprod[/nom]Avid crashes more on PC... Pro Tools never cooperates with competing hardware conflicts... Premiere Pro is great, I will admit that... but I love the Apple Pro Res Codecs and the Avid HD Codecs....Oh and good luck with editing 1080p with that laptop..OH and BTW... the GPU doesn't really do much in most editing software. It is used for some of the interface, but doesn't really contribute a whole hell of a lot.[/citation]

That partly goes back to having your network admin get computers configured right for the software rather than getting a vanilla build and crossing fingers.

In terms of graphics cards, while it used to be the case that your gpu simply wasn't a factor (other than additional input/recording capabilities it might offer). Thanks to CUDA in editing software that properly supports it, your GPU can be a pretty huge factor, particularly in terms of encoding/re-encoding.

Doing it on a laptop though...not so much the fun, the hard drive speed alone will make things an utter PITA.

I suspect however that the girl in the ad isn't using it for serious editing, just something to get her feet wet...which is a complete asumption on my part but the only thing that makes any sense to me?

G

"2:Anyone who has ever edited 5 seconds of HD video will tell you - a very powerful pc is required. Did I say 'very'? Because I meant 'extremely'. My (desktop)quad-core with 8 GB RAM and a 1 GB 8800GT struggles (and sometimes fails) to edit HD video. Besides- even if if the internals could manage to do the work, looking at it on a small screen is just amateur. Seriously"
Agreed.

@anyone else that thinks that a mac laptop is good for video editing,
Dear ignorant:
Your desktop PC is (most likely) a P.O.S to do any video editing, and so is any laptop. All you need for this said task is lots of ram, lots of processor power, and fast HDDs. Your best bet in the mac brand is a MacPro or MacBig or whatever the f***ck those are called, and I must add, you can get a MUCH better machine with dual processors (OR MORE) for LESS than the maclol.

In short, go PC if you want to do video editing, and don't use notebooks.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Oh, angryclown I can see why you can't edit and why you are so angry... I happen to have a severely OC'ed 8thread Quadcore i7 (4.2Ghz) with 12GB or RAM and dual 295GTX's which are mostly irrelevant for video editing unless you have to Badaboom them for your iphone or something so mentioning your sad 8800GT only makes you look bad.

Ellimist

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
why does everyone consider the 9600GT in the macbook to be bad? everyone else is using the same gfx card anyway except stuff designed for games that sometimes has the power hungry 9800. hating on the vid card means you are hating on all the pcs that use it as well.

People scoff that the Windows machine won't have video editing software, but neither does the Mac include Final Cut Pro on their machines.

In fact, it costs like $2000.

Apple really lost on this one.

[citation][nom]Ellimist[/nom]Hehe i got a macbook and this is my third mac laptop. use OSX all the time.[/quote]

Maybe that's a good indicator that you shouldn't be on this site.

the thing when i take it to lans runs crysis no worries at native res.

My 8400GT will run Crysis on native 1650X1050 too, if I set everything to lowest.

Also you're using Windows on a Mac. That just defeated the whole point.

i mean come on. the 9400 in it is awesome.

See above.

in this ad i like how portability was really important and yet the mac being one of the most portable laptops around with good specs and a gfx card that can actually play games is passed over merely because standard it has 2gb of ram?

Yes, you know why? Because for portability and mediocre hardware it will set you back at least $2499, and that's the basic config with 2GB RAM. If you need a mobile workstation, a 9400M and 2GB is just not enough.

and then she picks that brick? i mean wtf? if your gonna pass over the mac and portability is important at least pick something that is portable.

Portability is all relative. For me, my HP dv4 is portabile, and it's good for me, because it offers more performance than a comparable MacBook at half the price.[/quote]

also the mac pro can't be compared to a normal desktop pc but has to be compared to a server as thats the kind of hardware thats in it.

You clearly don't know your hardware. It's not a server, Xserve is a server. Get your facts straight first.

its not designed to be a desktop pc thats what the imac or whteva its called now is for.

iMac a desktop? Are you kidding? That thing is not upgradeable, has no power, and costs more than a laptop and a desktop.

and lets face it that thing is a pos. its a laptop acting as a desktop.

I'm confused, are you saying the iMac is a POS or the HDX? Because the HDX can probably wipe the floor with your "gaming PC", whatever it is.

oh and my desktop pc is wicked for games and uses vista so i'm not mac fanboy. I prefer their laptops for the portability i get going to uni and the after sales support they provide.
If you pay $1000 more for a logo, they will give you great service. Or maybe you try to think it as "great" in order to mentally justify the cost.

in these ads i don't think anyone of them has got a laptop that is sufficient to their needs and in most cases a mac probably isn't for them anyway as they are looking for desktop replacement really because they want to work or tasks on them that require a desktop in the end to be done properly.[/citation]

Lauren or whatever her name was wanted an affordable 17" for casual usage. This person wants a mobile workstation that can handle video editing. You tell me they didn't get what they need for way less than a Mac?

It's one thing to argue about pros and cons, but don't try to justify it via nonsense arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.