[SOLVED] Laptop internal HDD with SMR

Jun 9, 2021
Dear All ,
I want to replace my laptop internal HDD.
I have seen HDD specs with CMR and SMR technology but not sure which suits my usage.
My usage is mostly Software development and very light entertainment (web surfing and watching videos).
Is the HDD with SMR technology fits my use case or CMR?

Please suggest.

Solution
I thought SSD is somewhat costlier compared to mechanical HDD for a given capacity.
Also i am not sure which type of SSD (SLC,MLC,TLC etc) will match the traditional SATA HDD in terms of
a.longevity
b.data recovery (in case of failure).
Please suggest.
a. They're both, for all intents and purposes, the same. You could argue though that the SSD will last longer by virtue of not having any moving parts or sensitivities to physical shock.
b. Again, for all intents and purposes, the same. You should be having a backup data plan in place anyway and not rely on trying to recover data from a drive that can't be used.

If all you have is a SATA interface, either a Samsung 860/870 or a Crucial...
Dear All ,
I want to replace my laptop internal HDD.
I have seen HDD specs with CMR and SMR technology but not sure which suits my usage.
My usage is mostly Software development and very light entertainment (web surfing and watching videos).
Is the HDD with SMR technology fits my use case or CMR?

Please suggest.
Just what I have read.
Get the cmr the tech has been around for years.
As already mentioned consider a ssd nice perf bump for your laptop.

Reactions: ramusw427
Jun 9, 2021
Just what I have read.
Get the cmr the tech has been around for years.
As already mentioned consider a ssd nice perf bump for your laptop.

I thought SSD is somewhat costlier compared to mechanical HDD for a given capacity.
Also i am not sure which type of SSD (SLC,MLC,TLC etc) will match the traditional SATA HDD in terms of
a.longevity
Please suggest.

a.longevity
Please suggest.
Yes a ssd does cost more you pay for the perf and longer life span.
Data recovery?......since everyone makes backups that's a nonissue.
Shop a quality 2.5 disk.......samsung/wd/crucial

a.longevity
Please suggest.
a. They're both, for all intents and purposes, the same. You could argue though that the SSD will last longer by virtue of not having any moving parts or sensitivities to physical shock.
b. Again, for all intents and purposes, the same. You should be having a backup data plan in place anyway and not rely on trying to recover data from a drive that can't be used.

If all you have is a SATA interface, either a Samsung 860/870 or a Crucial MX500 will do.

Reactions: ramusw427
Solution