Question Laptop Is performing way below potential for a long time ?

Apr 17, 2024
Hello, I know UserBenchmark community results arent really accurate, but i am giving the results since i think everyone can come to agree with UserBenchmark this time because my pc components are performing way below their potential. I want to ask if everyone else would agree and what can i do about it. Thanks in advance.

Here are the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67716766

UserBenchmarks: Game 24%, Desk 59%, Work 18%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ - 51.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 (Mobile Max-Q) - 42.1%
SSD: Samsung PM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB - 143.6%
HDD: Seagate ST2000LM007-1R8174 2TB - 42.8%
RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH 2x8GB - 63.9%
MBD: Lenovo 80YY
Also for some reason it fails to test the SSD, i dont know why. Thanks in advance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
UBM "benchmark" is a composite against all systems tested with the program. As newer equipment comes along the score for the old equipment goes down and not particularly in response to it being worse than it ever was...just against the newer hardware. For a 7 generations old mobile chipset you aren't nearly as bad as you might think when considering this alone.

There could well be other factors at play, as I didn't actually look at the result, just to offer insight.

If you have a frame count program like Afterburner turned on it can cause parts of the test not to work properly.

Apr 17, 2024
Yes, I think I know what you mean. What I didnt mention in the question is that i cant even get 50fps in games that i had well over 80-90fps couple years back. It just gradually declined over time. UBM says that the components are performing poorly not just compared to everything else, but the same component on other computers. I would be glad if you looked at the result.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a case like this you could take a look at background CPU use, memory load and use, cleaning of the fans/coolers/repaste, even how full your drive(s) is. In some cases games get updated which causes them to be harder to run. A lot of popular titles actually do this to keep them relevant and to take advantage of the newer hardware capabilities.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I would guess dust build up blocking the heatsink.
The thermal interface material usually doesn't need replacing in laptops, but if you do decide to change it, use something thick, like honeywell PTM7950, Thermalright TFX, or Fuze Ice Plus.

TRENDING THREADS