[SOLVED] Laptop motherboard upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 29, 2019
Stop creating multiple threads to ask variations of the same basic questions. Thank you.
-I have a 15-f305dx pc
-The motherboard is a 790630-001
I’d like to know if I can upgrade my cpu but I don’t think I can so what motherboard could I get to replace my old laptops motherboard to get better performance? I’d like it to fit in the laptop case too

Solution
Im now just wanting a laptop that can program websites and 2d games with python and c++ I’m looking for an 11 inch laptop for portability what laptop for 200 to 300$ can I get that can do these things?

I'm guessing portability is the key here right? Those 2in1's around 11 inches are rather underpowered "N4000" 4GB of RAM and 64GB of EMMC storage or less and 768p or 1080p screens. The Surface Pro's from former corporate use are going to be much more potent and are designed around the very uses you want although the batteries might need to be replaced which is easy to do.

Surface Pro 3 $175.00
i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 12 inches 2160 x 1440 .

Surface Pro 4 $230
Core M-5Y10 , 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 12 inches...
Dec 29, 2019
Laptop motherboards are not standardized for size, shape, component location, power use, etc... you can't swap the motherboard unless you get another one from the exact same model with a different CPU. Even then if the screens are different it may not display anything on the screen.

Really only two things you can upgrade in a laptop is the RAM and drive, if you don't have a solid state drive, get one of those. If you can upgrade the RAM you can do that also, looks like that model has 4gb, check on www.crucial.com if you can upgrade it.
Well if I was able to upgrade the ram to 16gigs then upgrade to ssd could I browse and watch YouTube and program websites and 2d games? I want to start programming indie games and adventure games like Zelda or giant worlds

Dec 29, 2019
To be honest, there isn't much to choose from laptops between 200-300 dollars. They're all almost the same. Only some parameters might be better or worse, but this won't be any big difference.

If you want your laptop to be fast and responsive you should aim at fast SSD disc and decent RAM (not only the capacity - there's also latency and speed)

If you want to programme, you won't need much from laptop. Situation changes, if you want to create games and then try them. This will require recent graphics card, but as far as we all know, low budget laptops have quite weak integrated graphics card or slow dedicated graphics card.
Will I be able to program and build 2d games? I want to build giant worlds I might even plan to go into 3D gaming but in the future not now

USAFRet

Titan
You have 4 threads on this same basic question.
Please keep it to one.

Dec 29, 2019
You have 4 threads on this same basic question.
Please keep it to one.

There all asking different questions

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I’m allowed to do what I want I’m not causing harm to anyone there’s no problem so leave me be and don’t respond unless you have information on what I’m asking on my threads thank you

Lets be clear here, YOU do not tell us what to do. YOU came here for help and agreed to a certain set of rules. A moderator (volunteer I may add) has advised you of the rules, and also the best way for you to get help to solve your problem. Going forward YOU will treat others on the forum with respect, and listen to the direction of the moderation team or YOU will be posting elsewhere, got it?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I want a laptop that can upgrade My gpu and cpu and that can get windows 10 that can play mid games and program websites or games.

Neither AMD nor Intel make mobile chips that use LGA sockets, you can, however, find laptops that use desktop CPU's but you're going to need to add about $2700 to that budget.

$300 laptops are very basic and not something you should consider if you're looking into gaming, you should save another $450 "$750 total" and start your search from there.

For around $500 the best you can hope for is a Ryzen 3500U with Vega 8 graphics and possible with a sale an Intel 8th gen CPU matched with a MX150" 1030GT". IF you search the used market you might find something with a 960m GPU for around $300.

Dec 29, 2019
Neither AMD nor Intel make mobile chips that use LGA sockets, you can, however, find laptops that use desktop CPU's but you're going to need to add about $2700 to that budget.

$300 laptops are very basic and not something you should consider if you're looking into gaming, you should save another $450 "$750 total" and start your search from there.

For around $500 the best you can hope for is a Ryzen 3500U with Vega 8 graphics and possible with a sale an Intel 8th gen CPU matched with a MX150" 1030GT". IF you search the used market you might find something with a 960m GPU for around $300.
Im now just wanting a laptop that can program websites and 2d games with python and c++ I’m looking for an 11 inch laptop for portability what laptop for 200 to 300$ can I get that can do these things?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

I'm guessing portability is the key here right? Those 2in1's around 11 inches are rather underpowered "N4000" 4GB of RAM and 64GB of EMMC storage or less and 768p or 1080p screens. The Surface Pro's from former corporate use are going to be much more potent and are designed around the very uses you want although the batteries might need to be replaced which is easy to do.

Surface Pro 3 $175.00
i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 12 inches 2160 x 1440 .

Surface Pro 4 $230
Core M-5Y10 , 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 12 inches 2736 x 1824 .

Surface Pro 4 $330
i5-6300U , 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 12 inches 2736 x 1824 .

Surface Pro 4 $350
i7-6650U , 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 12 inches 2736 x 1824 .

Solution