[SOLVED] Laptop motherboard upgrade

Dec 29, 2019
Stop creating multiple threads to ask variations of the same basic questions. Thank you.
-I have a 15-f305dx pc
-The motherboard is a 790630-001
I’d like to know if I can upgrade my cpu but I don’t think I can so what motherboard could I get to replace my old laptops motherboard to get better performance? I’d like it to fit in the laptop case too

Solution
Im now just wanting a laptop that can program websites and 2d games with python and c++ I’m looking for an 11 inch laptop for portability what laptop for 200 to 300$ can I get that can do these things?

I'm guessing portability is the key here right? Those 2in1's around 11 inches are rather underpowered "N4000" 4GB of RAM and 64GB of EMMC storage or less and 768p or 1080p screens. The Surface Pro's from former corporate use are going to be much more potent and are designed around the very uses you want although the batteries might need to be replaced which is easy to do.

Surface Pro 3 $175.00
i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 12 inches 2160 x 1440 .

Surface Pro 4 $230
Core M-5Y10 , 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 12 inches...
Dec 29, 2019
- I have a hp 15-f305dx
-a6 5200 4core 4thread 2.0ghz ft3 socket
-amd hd 8400 integrated
-4gb ram
-500gb hdd
-optical drive

I want to see if I can upgrade my laptop because it’s been running slow and I want to get into programming and game development like 2d or building even 3D games so what can I upgrade and what should I upgrade? Also could I upgrade my optical drive for any other use than just adding more storage? Or could I add a mxm gpu? If not what motherboard should I upgrade to or should I just buy a new laptop? I’m looking for portability

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Because it's a BGA (BOL769) not a land grid array (LGA), Ball Grid Array CPU's are all soldered in place.

Ball grid array vs Land grid array

A6-5200.jpg

Dec 29, 2019
I’m wondering if you could show me some laptops that cost around 300$ or a even cheaper laptop I’m on a budget. I want a laptop that can upgrade My gpu and cpu and that can get windows 10 that can play mid games and program websites or games. I have a hp 15-f305dx laptop but the cpu and gpu can’t be upgraded but I can upgrade the storage and upgrade the ram but is it worth upgrading or should I just get a new laptop? Could you show me some old laptops that can be upgraded by gpu and cpu?

Dec 29, 2019
Sorry, no.
Then why di
I want a portable laptop that can programs games like 2d or even 3D And play mid low level games like minecraft
You're asking for far too much from a $300 budget.
well idk man I’m on a tight budget should I just upgrade my hp laptop I’d probably upgrade the ram to 16 and get a 500gb ssd but i just want something that can play minecraft or build 3D games

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Seems a waste to spend much money on an A6 laptop.
Ideally, I'd suggest selling it and using any money made + your proposed $300 and picking up a decent spec'd laptop from a couple of years back, say ~$500.... or a little less and upgrading (or repairing) that.

For example, just a very, very quick eBay search (and not necessarily suggesting you buy this):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-1...144524?hash=item4da36a740c:g:6yYAAOSwyuVeBU3i

OR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GL62-6...563717?hash=item2f3bab9605:g:IycAAOSwePReB7sO

Might take some creativity to handle things like broken hinges or whatever, but for <$500, your options are going to be extremely limited.

Laptops are typically not very upgradable as far as the CPU and GPU are concerned. One generally goes with a desktop system if they care about upgrading the major components.

In any case, with a $300 laptop, you would most likely be looking at models with low-power CPUs and integrated graphics, which won't be particularly good for playing demanding games on.

Things might not be much better on the desktop side of things, though it might be possible to find a refurbished system with an older but still reasonable processor, and add a graphics card to get serviceable gaming performance for around that budget, assuming you have a monitor to hook the system to.

Dec 29, 2019
You're asking for far too much from a $300 budget.
that be
Laptops are typically not very upgradable as far as the CPU and GPU are concerned. One generally goes with a desktop system if they care about upgrading the major components.

In any case, with a $300 laptop, you would most likely be looking at models with low-power CPUs and integrated graphics, which won't be particularly good for playing demanding games on.

Things might not be much better on the desktop side of things, though it might be possible to find a refurbished system with an older but still reasonable processor, and add a graphics card to get serviceable gaming performance for around that budget, assuming you have a monitor to hook the system to.
that be nice I’m already getting a desktop in the future but I also want something portable I want something that can program websites and 2d games

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Can I just upgrade my laptops ram to 16gb ram and upgrade my 500gb ssd

That doesn't really make improve gaming performance though, which was the premise of your initial question.

Upgradeable laptops are relatively few and they tend be of the very high-end variety to start with. A $300 laptop likely doesn't even have the capability to have any graphics card, let alone be of the fairly rare design to allow a GPU upgrade.

Dec 29, 2019
That doesn't really make improve gaming performance though, which was the premise of your initial question.

Upgradeable laptops are relatively few and they tend be of the very high-end variety to start with. A $300 laptop likely doesn't even have the capability to have any graphics card, let alone be of the fairly rare design to allow a GPU upgrade.
But will I be able to program websites and maybe at least 2d games?

Dec 29, 2019
I have a HP 15-f305dx laptop and I was thinking about upgrading it I was going to be upgrading the ram to 16 gigs of ram and upgrading to ssd and maybe add an optical drive cpu cooler And re-adding new thermal paste. But will my Hp 25-f305dx when upgraded be enough for programming websites and 2d games?

RAM should be fairly cheap so thats always a good upgrade

SSD will help speed up loading and responsiveness

I dont know what you mean by optical bay cooler, but if its some sort of aftermarket cooler that goes in the bay then it may not do anything depending on how the laptop is laid out.

Replacing the thermal paste with higher quality paste or liquid metal (if the cooler isn't aluminum) can help with temps

As far as use, it should be enough for coding and 2D games.

Dec 29, 2019
Writing code and having an environment to run on are different things. Could you write games, YES. Could you predict how they would run for others? Not really. Your hardware is much too old and underperforming to tell you if something would work on current gaming hardware.
Ok can you point me in the right direction what 200 to 300 dollar laptop I can and should buy that can do those things?

weCzarek

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
Ok can you point me in the right direction what 200 to 300 dollar laptop I can and should buy that can do those things?

To be honest, there isn't much to choose from laptops between 200-300 dollars. They're all almost the same. Only some parameters might be better or worse, but this won't be any big difference.

If you want your laptop to be fast and responsive you should aim at fast SSD disc and decent RAM (not only the capacity - there's also latency and speed)

If you want to programme, you won't need much from laptop. Situation changes, if you want to create games and then try them. This will require recent graphics card, but as far as we all know, low budget laptops have quite weak integrated graphics card or slow dedicated graphics card.

-I have a 15-f305dx pc
-The motherboard is a 790630-001
I’d like to know if I can upgrade my cpu but I don’t think I can so what motherboard could I get to replace my old laptops motherboard to get better performance? I’d like it to fit in the laptop case too

Laptop motherboards are not standardized for size, shape, component location, power use, etc... you can't swap the motherboard unless you get another one from the exact same model with a different CPU. Even then if the screens are different it may not display anything on the screen.

Really only two things you can upgrade in a laptop is the RAM and drive, if you don't have a solid state drive, get one of those. If you can upgrade the RAM you can do that also, looks like that model has 4gb, check on www.crucial.com if you can upgrade it.