[SOLVED] Laptop not powering on after CPU replace

Aug 24, 2020
Hello,

The loading of web pages becoming laborious, and also because I haven't seen great deals on 17" laptops, I decided to change the CPU of my old Vaio.

Here is the beast:
  • SONY Vaio VPCEF3E1E, bought in 2011
  • Athlon II p340 dual core, TDP 25W, release date Q4 2010
  • RAM 2 x 2 GB RAM Elpida 1066Mhz
  • 128GB PNY SSD
  • DVD optical drive

The socket is S1G4, so I opted for a quad-core compatible CPU, a Phenom II n930. TDP is 35W so slightly higher, but according to feedbacks it's not a problem. Ordered on ebay a used CPU from China for 15$, seller had hundreds of positive reviews. Released in Q2 2010, before the current CPU, should be recognized by the BIOS.

Bent pins on new CPU
No problems at disassembly, but when inserting the new CPU: it doesn't stall because of twisted PINS 🔫
By taking the time, with a magnifying glass, straightening the 2-3 consecutive crooked pins, and there miraculously the CPU wedges itself in the socket without forcing. Fan cleaning, thermal paste change and reassembly OK :D

No boot
The power button LED lights as usual in green color. The fan doesn't spin, black screen, not even bios. No noise or beep. The metal plate above the CPU heats up, so power supply OK. I put the old CPU back, and there was a bad surprise => it doesn't start either! I also test with and without hard drive and DVD drive

What I Tried
  • reset CMOS : CMOS removed a few seconds => no effect
  • remove the battery and long press on power (> 1mn) => no effect
  • assembly & dissasembly many times

So where can I look for ? Is the socket damaged ?

Edit : sorry for my poor English

Solution
Take out the CMOS battery on the laptop and have it unplugged and wait for 5 minutes. Plug it back in put CMOS battery back and I bet you it will start right up. 🙈✝🙉💯😷
So you replaced a Athon II CPU with a Phenom II CPU? That's your first mistake. The drivers for the CPU get loaded when you install the OS. Changing to a different CPU without reinstalling the drivers by loading a new install is causing some problems. You can try that as a remedy but...

The new Phenom II CPU has damaged pins. Thinking you can fix it by straightening them is probably your second mistake. While the pins may be straightened enough to fit properly you can't know hat happened inside the CPU. Are their wires/traces still connected? Who knows? It's impossible to say.

Where to go from here? Your best bet is to buy another laptop to replace this 9 year old one. I suspect when you powered it up with the bent pins on the Phenom II CPU you damaged the motherboard.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Aug 24, 2020
So you replaced a Athon II CPU with a Phenom II CPU? That's your first mistake. The drivers for the CPU get loaded when you install the OS. Changing to a different CPU without reinstalling the drivers by loading a new install is causing some problems. You can try that as a remedy but...
Even if the CPU is not recognized, we should be able to access bios before OS startup.

I bought a new Lenovo last week and I think too this isa a lost situation

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Take out the CMOS battery on the laptop and have it unplugged and wait for 5 minutes. Plug it back in put CMOS battery back and I bet you it will start right up. 🙈✝🙉💯😷

Solution

TRENDING THREADS