Question Laptop pc Soldered RAM Memory advice/question

Dec 21, 2023
Hey,
I have "Asus x556ur" laptop with "Micron Soldered 8GB 2133MHz DDR4" memory, and I have 1 free slot to upgrade, im a bit puzzled about compatibility with soldered ram.

Will RAM with higher frequency than 2133MHz and different CL will be compatible with the existing soldered ram?
Does different DDR memory brand with the similar specs can cause compatibility problems? or do I have to find Micron?

For example will "Kingston 8GB 2666MHz 260pin 1.2V CL19" will be compatible with my Soldered memory?

Added CPU-Z pics for more info about the Soldered ram , thanks you :)
2.png

1.png

3.png

Lutfij

Titan
I'd stick to a single stick of DDR4-2133MHz ram. The way ram works is even if you drop in a higher frequency stick of ram, the ram will be downclocked to DDR4-2133MHz. Latency won't matter either since that will be laxed per the one soldered onto the motherboard.

In a nutshell, your soldered ram is what will govern what your overall speed and latency will be. Your laptop doesn't have ay option to fine tune/overclock the latency either. With that, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version before you drop in any stick of ram into your laptop.

Per these links;
https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/asus/laptop/vivobook-x556ur
since I can't find anything else on your laptop specs wise(officially on Asus's support end), it looks like you can go to a max of 16GB. I would look into an 8GB DDR4-2133MHz stick of ram and call it a day.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 21, 2023
I'd stick to a single stick of DDR4-2133MHz ram. The way ram works is even if you drop in a higher frequency stick of ram, the ram will be downclocked to DDR4-2133MHz. Latency won't matter either since that will be laxed per the one soldered onto the motherboard.

In a nutshell, your soldered ram is what will govern what your overall speed and latency will be. Your laptop doesn't have ay option to fine tune/overclock the latency either. With that, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version before you drop in any stick of ram into your laptop.

Per these links;
https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/asus/laptop/vivobook-x556ur
since I can't find anything else on your laptop specs wise(officially on Asus's support end), it looks like you can go to a max of 16GB. I would look into an 8GB DDR4-2133MHz stick of ram and call it a day.
I appreciate the answer,
Im fine with the new higher 2666MHz frequency RAM stick to drop to the soldered 2133MHz ram frequency and same for the Latency, the question is will they be compatible? will my laptop function normaly? it won't crash or do any problems?

Last edited:
I appreciate the answer,
Im fine with the new higher 2666MHz frequency RAM stick to drop to the soldered 2133MHz ram frequency and same for the Latency, the question is will they be compatible? will my laptop function normaly? it won't crash or do any problems?
Mixing ram modules not bought in a kit, can be problematic. Less so for Laptops.

Run the Scanner here: https://eu.crucial.com/store/systemscanner and buy one of the suggested ones.