Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hello, I got my medion erazer p15805 laptop 2 years ago now, and since then I’ve been struggling to find an issue to this constant problem. I’ve learned to just manage with what I have and experiencing terrible FPS in games still. knowing I am not getting what I payed for. But, I feel like now after 2 years I’m closer to a solution than ever.

my main problem is basically all games ive tried - fortnite, rust, cs:go, rainbow six siege, battlefront V and even roblox and mine craft are performing very poorly with frame drops and stutters, especially on fortnite and mine craft. My brother with a laptop of worse specs (he had a 1050 and worse i5) was achieving better performance, and he payed mush less.

Specs are:
1660 TI 6gb
8gb ram (single channel)
Core i5 9300H
1tb HDD
256gb SSD

After extensive research over the past 2 years, I think that the main 2 problems could be:

1. Since this system is single channel RAM ( single stick of 8gb). That may be the problem. I don’t know much about pcs but I found out that buying a second stick of ram has increased performance for some, but I’m not sure if this is the case with mine - especially as I don’t want to have to go through all the hassle and spending even more money just for this fix to not even make a difference and get my laptop how I want it to perform.

2. I’m not entirely sure about this one, but I discovered my laptop may be heat throttling, and this may be limiting my performance. I’ve never really checked to see properly, but I have noticed my fans do run very loudly and my pc gets quite hot sometimes.

I really hope I can find a fix once and for all, so I can finally enjoy my games in peace knowing I got what I payed for - any help is appreciated

Solution
In some cases, there was only as little as like 5fps increases.

Dual-channel RAM isn't for FPS increase. Better GPU is for that.

What dual-channel RAM fixes, for the most part, are stutters and it can also increase the 1% and 0.1% FPS (low and the lowest). Since after all, it's the stutters that you have issue with, not the as high FPS as possible. 200+ FPS means nothing if you have stutters.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My brother with a laptop of worse specs (he had a 1050 and worse i5)

Worse i5 is what?

I don’t know much about pcs but I found out that buying a second stick of ram has increased performance for some, but I’m not sure if this is the case with mine - especially as I don’t want to have to go through all the hassle and spending even more money just for this fix to not even make a difference and get my laptop how I want it to perform.

Here's a difference between single-channel 8GB RAM and dual-channel 2x 4GB (total 8GB) RAM,
comparison: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compa...vs-HyperX-Fury-DDR4-2133-C14-2x4GB/3555vs3554

my laptop may be heat throttling, and this may be limiting my performance. I’ve never really checked to see properly

About time to check it? No? :unsure:

HWinfo64 has very good telemetry, including logging feature,
link: https://www.hwinfo.com/

While thermal throttle can be an issue, it would affect the PC once it's warmed up. Making a cold start and then gaming, should be smooth, until laptop heats up.

Due to the very cramped internals all laptops have, thermals may remain issue for forever, since there is little you can do. Few what you can do, are:
  • clean laptop internals from dust (e.g canned air)
  • put laptop on flat hard surface, not to block any vents it has (maybe elevate it some to give bottom vents more breathing room)
  • cap the FPS in games, so that your hardware doesn't have to run that hard and get so hot
Only good thing going for laptops, is their mobility. In everything else, desktop PC does better.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hello, thanks for response

I don’t remember, but I know for sure his whole laptop was a downgrade from mine, including the processor. And, doesn’t the difference between single and dual channel ram vary from system to system?
I’ll try and see more about the thermal throttling this weekend, but I’m also looking further into buying mor ram at the moment.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I don’t remember, but I know for sure his whole laptop was a downgrade from mine, including the processor.

Just because your friend Core i5 may be generation or more older, doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is weaker.
E.g your i5-9300H vs one gen older i5-8400H: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9300H-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400H/m744904vsm524256
Or your 9th gen i5-9300H vs my 6th gen i5-6600K: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9300H-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/m744904vs3503

This actually doesn't matter as much, since what your friend has, doesn't fix the issue you're having.

And, doesn’t the difference between single and dual channel ram vary from system to system?

No.

The performance benefit from dual-channel over single-channel is so huge, that the minute differences between different PCs are negligible. Performance boost is still there and very noticeable.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Just because your friend Core i5 may be generation or more older, doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is weaker.
E.g your i5-9300H vs one gen older i5-8400H: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9300H-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400H/m744904vsm524256
Or your 9th gen i5-9300H vs my 6th gen i5-6600K: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9300H-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/m744904vs3503

This actually doesn't matter as much, since what your friend has, doesn't fix the issue you're having.

No.

The performance benefit from dual-channel over single-channel is so huge, that the minute differences between different PCs are negligible. Performance boost is still there and very noticeable.

ah, I see. I’m just uncertain as on YouTube I’ve seen many videos of people applying dual channel ram to their laptops and, yes, it has lead to performance increases, but not at the level that would get my laptop where I want it to. In some cases, there was only as little as like 5fps increases.

My laptop not only continuously stutters in most games, but also performs badly for its specs - most vids show only a 20-30% FPS improvement, and I’m not sure even this will really be enough to be the main fix of my problem - that’s why I’m hoping maybe it varies from system to system. By doing this, could my laptop not only stop massive FPS drops and stutterings, but also have a great overall FPS increase (possibly even more than double FPS in some games like fortnite where it’s unbelievably low)?
from all the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, none of the laptops suffered as bad as mine beforehand ( laptops with around same specs as mine) and the addition of dual channel didn’t make a drastic difference, though noticeable.

Are you playing with an unlocked frame rate? I would get another 8GB stick of RAM, that's pretty low these days for a system used for more than general tasks. That can cause stuttering if your running low and single channel can hurt your min FPS.

What's your CPU and GPU temps?
What's your sustained CPU boost speed?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In some cases, there was only as little as like 5fps increases.

What dual-channel RAM fixes, for the most part, are stutters and it can also increase the 1% and 0.1% FPS (low and the lowest). Since after all, it's the stutters that you have issue with, not the as high FPS as possible. 200+ FPS means nothing if you have stutters.

Solution

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020

No, actually, it is low FPS as well as stuttering that I am dealing with. If upgrading to dual channel will only fix the stutters, what could be the cause for the bad FPS?

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Are you playing with an unlocked frame rate? I would get another 8GB stick of RAM, that's pretty low these days for a system used for more than general tasks. That can cause stuttering if your running low and single channel can hurt your min FPS.

What's your CPU and GPU temps?
What's your sustained CPU boost speed?
Hello, thanks for helping.
How can I check for all of these? I did try a while ago but I forgot how

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If upgrading to dual channel will only fix the stutters, what could be the cause for the bad FPS?

With GPUs, and when reviewed, both FPS are listed: average FPS and 99th percentile (aka 1% low),
e.g 1660 Ti review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002-2.html

GamersNexus goes even further and also lists the 0.1% low FPS.
GTX 1660 Ti review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8m-XznP2xw

While what most people are after, is the max FPS, rather than average, 99th percentile or even 0.1% low.

Though, do note that what is reviewed, is desktop GPU. Laptop counterpart is always weaker than desktop GPU,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/m776281vs4037

What dual-channel RAM does, is to increase the 1%/0.1% low FPS, so that the gap between 1%/0.1% low and average FPS isn't that great, thus reducing or even eliminating stutter.

Stutter is also caused when RAM is filled and to keep going, PC has to erase old data and write new data into RAM. This erase/write cycle is slow, compared to just read cycle and can manifest into noticeable stutters.

"Bad FPS" is individual taste and debatable. E.g for me, line is at 40 FPS. Since below that, noticeable stutter occurs. While there are folks out there, who consider anything below 144 or 200 FPS as "bad FPS".
So, at what point the FPS is "bad" for you?

How can I check for all of these? I did try a while ago but I forgot how

How about you actually read my 1st reply in this topic, to know how.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
With GPUs, and when reviewed, both FPS are listed: average FPS and 99th percentile (aka 1% low),
e.g 1660 Ti review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002-2.html

GTX 1660 Ti review:

While what most people are after, is the max FPS, rather than average, 99th percentile or even 0.1% low.

Though, do note that what is reviewed, is desktop GPU. Laptop counterpart is always weaker than desktop GPU,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/m776281vs4037

What dual-channel RAM does, is to increase the 1%/0.1% low FPS, so that the gap between 1%/0.1% low and average FPS isn't that great, thus reducing or even eliminating stutter.

Stutter is also caused when RAM is filled and to keep going, PC has to erase old data and write new data into RAM. This erase/write cycle is slow, compared to just read cycle and can manifest into noticeable stutters.

"Bad FPS" is individual taste and debatable. E.g for me, line is at 40 FPS. Since below that, noticeable stutter occurs. While there are folks out there, who consider anything below 144 or 200 FPS as "bad FPS".

Hello, thanks for your response again,
I see. So basically, dual channel will only fix half my problem. Right? It will only fix the stuttering. The low FPS is a different problem.
I consider low FPS to be when I am getting frames that I certainly should not be getting for my specs. Using a variety of comparisons tools/videos and even seeing in person worse laptops performing better than mine, I know mine must have a problem. Surely a 1660ti and i5 9300h shouldn’t be getting only 60-80 FPS with frequent drops to 10? It’s unbelievable, fortnite is not even a demanding game at all, same with mine craft and cs:go.
I’ll try testing my laptop for throttling this weekend, and I’ll update you on how that goes. Im going to have to wait a week for school to end so I can have time for the RAM upgrade, so for now I’ll focus on simpler potential fixes I can try to do without having to open up my pc. Thanks again,

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hello, thanks for your response again,
I see. So basically, dual channel will only fix half my problem. Right? It will only fix the stuttering. The low FPS is a different problem.
I consider low FPS to be when I am getting frames that I certainly should not be getting for my specs. Using a variety of comparisons tools/videos and even seeing in person worse laptops performing better than mine, I know mine must have a problem. Surely a 1660ti and i5 9300h shouldn’t be getting only 60-80 FPS with frequent drops to 10? It’s unbelievable, fortnite is not even a demanding game at all, same with mine craft and cs:go.
I’ll try testing my laptop for throttling this weekend, and I’ll update you on how that goes. Im going to have to wait a week for school to end so I can have time for the RAM upgrade, so for now I’ll focus on simpler potential fixes I can try to do without having to open up my pc. Thanks again,
Also, I have noticed my fans are very, very loud, like an airplane, and quite often my laptop gets quite hot to touch. I’m not sure if this is a design flaw, as I’ve seen other customers complain about the same things but it gives me further reason to believe the laptop is thermal throttling. We’ll have to wait for me to confirm though.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Surely a 1660ti and i5 9300h shouldn’t be getting only 60-80 FPS

FPS amount comes down to plethora of different circumstances. On broader scale, those divide into hardware and software.

On hardware level, thermals and PC capability (e.g RAM) play a huge role. And how full your OS drive is.
On software level, bloatware and malware plays a big role. As do the game itself in question. And with games, namely online ones (like Fortnite), your ISP also matters (namely internet speed).

I've talked quite a lot what you can do on hardware level. But i've also seen quite a lot of resentment on your part, regarding this. E.g namely:
on YouTube I’ve seen many videos of people applying dual channel ram to their laptops and, yes, it has lead to performance increases, but not at the level that would get my laptop where I want it to.

What one wants and what is actually possible on hardware level, are often two different things.
E.g i could also say that i want my i5-6600K to perform equal to i5-13600K, just because "I want it". But this isn't physically possible due to the hardware limits. Best i could achieve, with CPU OC, are i5-9500 levels.

On software level, malware and bloatware, that hogs system resources, can make any PC perform terrible. If i were to take latest hardware, e.g i9-13900K with RTX 4090 and fill it with bloatware and malware, all that can choke the system so badly that 10+ year old PC, e.g i7-3770K with GTX 1060 would outperform the far better PC.

To get rid of software issues, format your OS drive and make a clean Win installation. This removes all the bloatware and almost all the malware (except rootkits), whereby you can start your PC from fresh. And even after clean Win install, you have your issues, then look towards hardware, since software issues are taken care of.
Are you going to clean install your Win, in hopes of fixing your issue? :unsure:

as I’ve seen other customers complain about the same things

Just because people complain about thermal issues, doesn't mean that they actually take good care of their hardware. Most of the times, hardware is neglected and once thermal throttle comes to play, complaints start rolling in.

Your case isn't that much different either. You don't monitor your temps. Don't have a clue how to. And when was the last time you cleaned PC internals from dust? If ever? Also, are you using your laptop placed on your lap (e.g you comfortably under blanket, laptop on the blanket); or placed on hard surface with good ventilation? :unsure:

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
FPS amount comes down to plethora of different circumstances. On broader scale, those divide into hardware and software.

On hardware level, thermals and PC capability (e.g RAM) play a huge role. And how full your OS drive is.
On software level, bloatware and malware plays a big role. As do the game itself in question. And with games, namely online ones (like Fortnite), your ISP also matters (namely internet speed).

I've talked quite a lot what you can do on hardware level. But i've also seen quite a lot of resentment on your part, regarding this. E.g namely:

What one wants and what is actually possible on hardware level, are often two different things.
E.g i could also say that i want my i5-6600K to perform equal to i5-13600K, just because "I want it". But this isn't physically possible due to the hardware limits. Best i could achieve, with CPU OC, are i5-9500 levels.

On software level, malware and bloatware, that hogs system resources, can make any PC perform terrible. If i were to take latest hardware, e.g i9-13900K with RTX 4090 and fill it with bloatware and malware, all that can choke the system so badly that 10+ year old PC, e.g i7-3770K with GTX 1060 would outperform the far better PC.

To get rid of software issues, format your OS drive and make a clean Win installation. This removes all the bloatware and almost all the malware (except rootkits), whereby you can start your PC from fresh. And even after clean Win install, you have your issues, then look towards hardware, since software issues are taken care of.
Are you going to clean install your Win, in hopes of fixing your issue? :unsure:

Just because people complain about thermal issues, doesn't mean that they actually take good care of their hardware. Most of the times, hardware is neglected and once thermal throttle comes to play, complaints start rolling in.

Your case isn't that much different either. You don't monitor your temps. Don't have a clue how to. And when was the last time you cleaned PC internals from dust? If ever? Also, are you using your laptop placed on your lap (e.g you comfortably under blanket, laptop on the blanket); or placed on hard surface with good ventilation? :unsure:
Hello again.
Yes, I am aware that stuff like bloat ware and viruses are capable of limiting my performances - over the last 2 years I’ve tried uncountable fixes, including reinstalling windows TWICE, and drivers numerous times.
I am 100% sure that my i59300h and gtx 1660 TI are not the problem, these are decent specs and should run the games I’ve been throwing at it without the problems I’ve been encountering - the problem is not at all because my specs aren’t good enough.
And, with the thermal issues, some people with similar laptops from medion have complained about thermal issues out of the box, as in performance issues from day 1, just as I have. Though I have not cleaned my laptop before or ever opened it up, it’s not like my laptop degraded over time, it’s always been like this from the beginning. ever since the second day of purchase (2 years ago) I started looking for solutions as soon as I realised my whole system wasn’t performing up to spec- now I regret the fact I didn’t just return it.
And, yes, I always play on a flat table surface with good spacing

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020

Hello.
So, I have done some testing, and the results were as expected but also quite interesting.

userbenchmark results - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57178917
3D mark results - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/84404908 (achieved a score of 4162, while other notebooks with same specs achieve score of 5348 on this benchmark), very disappointing.

but, I’m still kind of confused - using intel xtu, task manage and msi afterbooster, it is showing that sometimes the problem is thermal throttling, and then sometimes the problem is power limit throttling?

For example, when I’m in rocket league ( as seen in pocture) i achieve around 160 FPS, with cpu temps averaging 95. In this case, it’s thermal throttling.
Rocket league throttling

But then, when I tried on GTA V it’s a mixture of both - sometimes it throttles and sometimes it’s power limit throttling, but mainly power limit. I tried low and ultra settings, no difference in FPS
GTA power limit
I then also tested hitman 2. I also had high temps here, similar to rocket league. Low and ultra settings had little to no difference in FPS.
Hitman 2 throttling

Weather it was thermal throttling or power throttling, it is clear my cpu is probably not running as it was supposed to be - and I was not getting the frames I should be getting for my spec, as showin in the game tests and 2 benchmarks. When I checked task manager, the cpu was above base clock most of the time and was around 3.70ghz.

I tried a lot of things to fix it -
I tried increasing ventilation by lifting the laptop above the table a bit. I reinstalled the control center. I tried changing windows xtu settings, set fan speeds to 100% all the time, and much more setting changes. Nothing worked.
Only thing I noticed made a difference was using throttle stop. I tried 3 different configurations I found online, and they did a decent job at bringing the CPU temps down, but made literally 0 difference to the FPS and performance.
Im going to try resetting windows again - but I do it it would fix it, as I’ve done it twice before already. What should I try next?

GTX 1660 Ti review:

Yes! This ^^^

Sounds like you're both suffering from a lack of system ram, AND thermal throttling on one or both your CPU/GPU.

You shouldn't be hitting 95c. Are the cooling fans working as expected? IS hot air coming out of the vents? When was the last time you cleaned the laptop with compressed air, getting all the dust and gunk out? General housekeeping to keep your lappie clean can also solve issues like throttling.

Is your bios the most recent for the laptop?

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Yes! This ^^^

Sounds like you're both suffering from a lack of system ram, AND thermal throttling on one or both your CPU/GPU.

You shouldn't be hitting 95c. Are the cooling fans working as expected? IS hot air coming out of the vents? When was the last time you cleaned the laptop with compressed air, getting all the dust and gunk out? General housekeeping to keep your lappie clean can also solve issues like throttling.

Is your bios the most recent for the laptop?
Hello again and thanks for response,

yes, I think it’s a mixture of both lack of ram and thermal problems - I also noticed that on idle, without being in any games (only chrome and some background apps open) 4- 5gb of ram was being used up as seen here - https://ibb.co/DzY1vj6

This week I will definitely be getting the 8x2 kit and hopefully it will help a bit. But, in the meantime I had to check for thermal problem.

Yes, the fans do work as expected and are very loud - hot air comes out of them. I’ve cleaned or opened up my laptop, but I never suspected buildup of dirt as the problem since it’s been like this from day 1. But, I was considering since I’ll be opening it up anyway to put in the new ram sticks, I might aswell figure out how to apply thermal paste/pads and clean it and see if that helps aswell. If I was to do this., what would you recommend I buy?

and about the bios, I am looking into that aswell, but I literally can’t find a download link to the latest bios for my laptop anywhere. I don’t even know the bios version of my system, or how to get into it. Today I created a post on the medion community forums to answer all these and hopefully I’ll get a response and be able to update it.

Hello again and thanks for response,

yes, I think it’s a mixture of both lack of ram and thermal problems - I also noticed that on idle, without being in any games (only chrome and some background apps open) 4- 5gb of ram was being used up as seen here - https://ibb.co/DzY1vj6

This week I will definitely be getting the 8x2 kit and hopefully it will help a bit. But, in the meantime I had to check for thermal problem.

Yes, the fans do work as expected and are very loud - hot air comes out of them. I’ve cleaned or opened up my laptop, but I never suspected buildup of dirt as the problem since it’s been like this from day 1. But, I was considering since I’ll be opening it up anyway to put in the new ram sticks, I might aswell figure out how to apply thermal paste/pads and clean it and see if that helps aswell. If I was to do this., what would you recommend I buy?

and about the bios, I am looking into that aswell, but I literally can’t find a download link to the latest bios for my laptop anywhere. I don’t even know the bios version of my system, or how to get into it. Today I created a post on the medion community forums to answer all these and hopefully I’ll get a response and be able to update it.
Noctua NT H2, without a doubt. For me, it's the best thermal paste for laptops with bare die to heatpipe contact. I've tried quite a few, and Noctua is the best performer by far. You can expect temps to decrease by 5-10c depending on the load.

As @Aeacus said, once your ram fills up, (and with only 3gb approx availlable for gaming) you run into issues for any semi demanding game. When ram is full it then uses the windows swap file/virtual mem to help out. The problem with that is, is it's on your SSD or HDD which are much slower than system ram, and then you get stutters upon stuters, and losing FPS, because the date being fed to the CPU is on a much slower throughput.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Noctua NT H2, without a doubt. For me, it's the best thermal paste for laptops with bare die to heatpipe contact. I've tried quite a few, and Noctua is the best performer by far. You can expect temps to decrease by 5-10c depending on the load.

As @Aeacus said, once your ram fills up, (and with only 3gb approx availlable for gaming) you run into issues for any semi demanding game. When ram is full it then uses the windows swap file/virtual mem to help out. The problem with that is, is it's on your SSD or HDD which are much slower than system ram, and then you get stutters upon stuters, and losing FPS, because the date being fed to the CPU is on a much slower throughput.
Thanks again. But, Is the performance of the nocturna paste outstanding enough to be bought over a cheaper option, such as the arctic mx4? It is half the price and comes with a spatula to spread the paste, but does not have the cleaning wipes which I may need.
And, what about thermal pads? Would it be better to use them instead of , or even,
In addition to the paste for even more efficient cooling?

Thanks again. But, Is the performance of the nocturna paste outstanding enough to be bought over a cheaper option, such as the arctic mx4? It is half the price and comes with a spatula to spread the paste, but does not have the cleaning wipes which I may need.
And, what about thermal pads? Would it be better to use them instead of , or even,
In addition to the paste for even more efficient cooling?

So, Arctic MX4 pumps out after a while, IIRC. So does Noctua NT H1. After about 3 months, your temps suddenly start to go up high, and it's this pump out affect that causes it. It can be due to the operating temps of the paste. NT H2 works at temps from about -40c to 200c, so does not pump out.

I wouldn't use pads on the CPU/GPU chips themselves. Just paste.

Edit: I know it's more expensive, but when it comes to a difference of £$€10 for the MX or £$€15-20, then I would go with the better paste. Saves headaches down the line. And buyer's remorse! :)

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
So, Arctic MX4 pumps out after a while, IIRC. So does Noctua NT H1. After about 3 months, your temps suddenly start to go up high, and it's this pump out affect that causes it. It can be due to the operating temps of the paste. NT H2 works at temps from about -40c to 200c, so does not pump out.

I wouldn't use pads on the CPU/GPU chips themselves. Just paste.

Edit: I know it's more expensive, but when it comes to a difference of £$€10 for the MX or £$€15-20, then I would go with the better paste. Saves headaches down the line. And buyer's remorse! :)
Alright, thanks for the help, I’ll go with the nocuta H2 in that case.

Finally, where exactly and how much paste would I apply in my situation? Obviously I’ll watch a video tutorial to help as I don’t really know what I’m doing, but since you know my specific problem and this specific laptop, what would you do for this situation? Do I clean off the old paste (if there is any) and is it good to use something to spread the paste properly (like a spatula).

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
For an Intel chip you can either do a pea sized blob in the centre, or 4 smaller dots roughly a few mm inside the shape of the CPU. When you replace the cooler/pipes back on it will even the spread out with the pressure applied.
Alright, but do you think I should spread it anyway just to be sure it covers the whole thing?