Question Laptop Recommendation (Under $500, SSD, 8GB RAM)

Jan 14, 2017
I am getting a laptop for a family member for college, I need a good recommendation for this. She wants to do light video editing and stuff like that.

I found two good contenders on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=9SIAEYA8D65360,9SIAEYA8GM0932

The Lenovo has an i3 for $60 more while HP has a Pentium Silver. I am stuck on which one would be better for her tasks. If somebody has a recommendation of one of these, or knows of a laptop that meets the requirements in the title, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Lenovo is faster but smaller drive. Need to find out how much disk space is needed for files. Small video editing would be good, can also use an external drive for secondary storage. Need something for backups as well.

Jan 14, 2017
Lenovo is faster but smaller drive. Need to find out how much disk space is needed for files. Small video editing would be good, can also use an external drive for secondary storage. Need something for backups as well.

Thank you, I meant to say light photo editing, so if light video editing is alright I'm sure that should be fine as well. She keeps her files on a flash drive and the photos in Google Photos, so I think the storage won't be as big of a problem. Thank you!

Thank you, I meant to say light photo editing, so if light video editing is alright I'm sure that should be fine as well. She keeps her files on a flash drive and the photos in Google Photos, so I think the storage won't be as big of a problem. Thank you!

Hopefully her file backups are in the flash drive, that is one of the most unreliable things to store files on, they fail often either through physical damage or the flash memory fails. Keep original files on the computer, use a flash drive if needed for backups or use cloud storage for backups.