Question Laptop running too hot after upgrade.

olryst

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Hello all,

I upgraded my Lenovo ThinkPad E520 from an i3-2330M to an i7-2860QM. The laptop runs fine with no issues but it does run very hot.

Recently one of the USB ports stopped working and its located right next to the CPU. I think this happened because of too much heat.

I don't want to downgrade it to the original CPU. So, to stop any possibility of further failure I want to improve the cooling. My plan is to remove the plastic casing around the CPU heatsink and attach more fins by sticking small heatsinks wherever I can fit them on the existing CPU heatsink. Also, I will attach a fan that will blow air upwards on to the heatsink.

I always use a laptop stand, so it's no problem for the heatsinks and fan to stick out of the bottom of the case.

I attached an image of the CPU cooler.

E520 CPU heatsink

Does anybody have any suggestions or advice about what kind of heatsinks or other products I should use?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Pushing a laptop from 35W TDP to 45W is a big step in power and of course heat generation in such a small format.
I was unable to search and find any E520 with an I7 but numerous examples of them being with i5-2410M, As you realized now likely because there isn't enough "ventilation to manage it"
I think your idea of an I7 is good, but you got the wrong one, if you use the I7-2640M (35W) of the same line as the license I5 series sold for this system you are not likely to have the "heat issues" your encountering., a much easier fix than "shielding the USB ports from heat".
I know it isn't the answer to your question about DIY, but likely the easier one. :)

reference : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/compare.html?productIds=53464,53476,53434