Question Laptop screen dimming and battery stops and starts charging every few seconds

Apr 20, 2023
I have an Asus Rog laptop. The screen on the laptop dims and the battery charge symbol in the taskbar shows it's charging on and off when it does that. I bought a new battery but it still does it. I checked my power supply and it shows 19.3 volts. I read something about rolling back my display adapter driver. It showed having two -Intel and NVIDIA but believe NVIDIA is the main one so I rolled it back but no change. The laptop screen dims on and off but neither of the two external monitors dim like that. I tried disconnecting the external monitors but that didn't change much. I did notice if I start an app or browser window it seems to start the intermittent dimming for a while. Right now it's not consistently doing it. It hasn't dimmed and is charging since I started writing this post. Just now, I tried running for an hour without the power supply plugged in and no dimming. However, when I plugged it back in , for some time now, there's also no dimming. It was doing it constantly earlier. Quite mystified and appreciate any tips. Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023
Now, since I put in the new battery, it's not doing it. It was doing it for quite a while when I first put it in, if that sheds any light?

Apr 20, 2023
Well. it quit doing this until today. I had been using the old battery and no problem. Today, I left it running on just the battery. It said I had 1 hour 10 minutes. It went fine until the battery got low. The screen then started dimming and bluetooth was disconnecting. I then plugged in the ac power but it continued dimming and intermittent charging. I had already ordered a new power supply back when the problem started but after it straightened out cancelled. I do have a new battery but it didn't stop the dimming. Again, Imeasured the power supply with a voltage meter and it's power stayed steady. Also I tried running the battery test powercfg /batteryreport but it only came back with "unexpected error" saying it couldn't find a file. I tried the solutions from here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-battery-health-report-errors but none worked. Any ideas where the problem is? Thanks