Question Laptop shows black screen ?

Sep 15, 2023
Hello, my laptop Thinkpad E540 has this problém when I push the power button the laptop turns on, the fan spins, cpu gets warm and it can adjust the fan speed normaly. The i on thinkpad logo on palm rest is glowing red and fn key had a green light and i managed to turn it off somehow. There is nothing on the screen.

I tried different ram that I know works, different ram slot, removing battery, removing wifi card, reseating the cpu, removing cmos battery, reseting the cmos by holding power button for some time and using an external monitor. Removing the ram makes it beep 4 times.

The only thing i didnt try is to get a new cmos battery, the old one is a bit discharged to around 1,75 volts. I dont think that the laptop needs the cmos battery at all and 1.75 volts should be enough, maybe im wrong but i dont want to spend money on something that i wouldnt need.

Can you help me fix this laptop please? I dont have money for a new one and I dont have any other laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to remove the ram, battery and the power input from the wall, then press and hold down the power button on your laptop for 30 seconds.

You should also take an eraser and clean the gold contacts on the stick(s) of ram that came bundled with the laptop. Clean off any eraser debris and then reseat with one stick, then power with the external power source.

I dont think that the laptop needs the cmos battery at all and 1.75 volts should be enough, maybe im wrong but i dont want to spend money on something that i wouldnt need.
No offence, but a CMOS battery doesn't exactly cost that much, regardless of where you're located in the world.

Sep 15, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to remove the ram, battery and the power input from the wall, then press and hold down the power button on your laptop for 30 seconds.

You should also take an eraser and clean the gold contacts on the stick(s) of ram that came bundled with the laptop. Clean off any eraser debris and then reseat with one stick, then power with the external power source.

I dont think that the laptop needs the cmos battery at all and 1.75 volts should be enough, maybe im wrong but i dont want to spend money on something that i wouldnt need.
No offence, but a CMOS battery doesn't exactly cost that much, regardless of where you're located in the world.
Thanks for your reply. I tried to clean the ram, holding the power button for 30 seconds several times and a few times for about 3 minutes. Also i bought a new CMOS battery. None of these made any difference. I have no idea what went wrong with this laptop.