Question Laptop shows random black screens when gaming ?

Mar 12, 2023
So I have an HP Omen Laptop (2019). it has RTX 2060 and i7-9750H. When im playing games my laptop tends to blackscreen without any error message, the display just turns off, it used to be very often but ever since I updated the BIOS it has become somewhat rare but is still a problem. Currently im playing Genshin Impact and Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. In Genshin it tends to crashes really randomly, in particular in high load situation (combat, or opening maps).

Eversince the BIOS update Bannerlord has not crashed even once. but i recall there is this particular instance before the BIOS update where a lot of AI in one place and the AI is suppose to scatter when i start the time, the laptop will always blackscreen when i start the time so im soft-locked in that situation and forced to load an earlier save where the AI is not as condensed in one place.

One thing i noticed after every crash is that my trackpad which i always turn off, always goes back on after the crashes. soo CMOS battery problem maybe?

so far here are the things i have tried:
  • udpate BIOS
  • update driver
  • replace SSD
  • plug off the battery and go on charger alone
  • clean ram slot
  • make sure it is not temperature related problem
  • use HP Assistant to check for hardware problem but no problem detected
  • reinstall windows
  • update windows10 to the newest version
There is nothing else i can think of that might causes this random black screen, i have a suspicion that it is a sign that either the CPU or GPU is failing but i havent noticed any sort of artifacts. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my laptop, or is it just simply time to get another one?

thanks before.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
It also has an Intel Integrated Graphics UHD 630 that must be turned off in BIOS, windows will still try to enable it for "Green Eco" at random times.
Temp Clearance requires you to post Temperatures at Peak, where are the numbers ?
Way to tell if the CMOS battery is too old - Time & Date will not hold correctly, will be off.
Since Laptop, maybe your laptop battery is too old. Try playing without the battery.
Laptops are not for gaming and you may indeed have a CPU overheat problem. Do you even have a fans pad ?

Mar 12, 2023
It also has an Intel Integrated Graphics UHD 630 that must be turned off in BIOS, windows will still try to enable it for "Green Eco" at random times.
Temp Clearance requires you to post Temperatures at Peak, where are the numbers ?
Way to tell if the CMOS battery is too old - Time & Date will not hold correctly, will be off.
Since Laptop, maybe your laptop battery is too old. Try playing without the battery.
Laptops are not for gaming and you may indeed have a CPU overheat problem. Do you even have a fans pad ?
I'm sorry i didn't provide peak temperature, from what I've seen checking the OMEN command center, temperature for both GPU and CPU never exceed 90 degree celcius ( i done it by checking the app mid-battle). i can say it is not overheating issue because before i changed the thermalpaste when i just bought the laptop it will throttle at 100 degree, and it still can operate at that temperature. and since changing thermalpaste i've never had throttling issue.

time and date is never off or innacurate from what i've seen

im currently trying to play without the battery, no crash so far, but the crash itself is kinda rare so im still testing it.

i do have a fan pad that is position directly under the intake vent. I've confirmed it is not a thermal problem CPU and GPU fan is clean, no blocked vent, and healthy thermal paste.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
You shouldn't operate a laptop above 75C. You should see my "pad" has 2x 240mm fans, about 3in. high on the back side. I don't think you understand physics and temps well.

Aug 15, 2023
So I have an HP Omen Laptop (2019). it has RTX 2060 and i7-9750H. When im playing games my laptop tends to blackscreen without any error message, the display just turns off, it used to be very often but ever since I updated the BIOS it has become somewhat rare but is still a problem. Currently im playing Genshin Impact and Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. In Genshin it tends to crashes really randomly, in particular in high load situation (combat, or opening maps).

Eversince the BIOS update Bannerlord has not crashed even once. but i recall there is this particular instance before the BIOS update where a lot of AI in one place and the AI is suppose to scatter when i start the time, the laptop will always blackscreen when i start the time so im soft-locked in that situation and forced to load an earlier save where the AI is not as condensed in one place.

One thing i noticed after every crash is that my trackpad which i always turn off, always goes back on after the crashes. soo CMOS battery problem maybe?

so far here are the things i have tried:
  • udpate BIOS
  • update driver
  • replace SSD
  • plug off the battery and go on charger alone
  • clean ram slot
  • make sure it is not temperature related problem
  • use HP Assistant to check for hardware problem but no problem detected
  • reinstall windows
  • update windows10 to the newest version
There is nothing else i can think of that might causes this random black screen, i have a suspicion that it is a sign that either the CPU or GPU is failing but i havent noticed any sort of artifacts. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my laptop, or is it just simply time to get another one?

thanks before.
Hi, in this case you can try change thermal paste with a better one just to check if is a difference https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-thermal-paste, if bios is up to date , if the fan are clean , and video driver up to date , after change paste you can try testing , you can also change windows version , on moment of gaming you can take out battery and check if is a difference or not , you can also disable video card and just use Intel one to make some tests ,https://www.makeuseof.com/best-gpu-stress-test-tools-windows/, and you can compare the results with Nvidia GeForce graphics enabled and without nvidia graphics enable , but I recommend make the test without battery and see the results .

Mar 12, 2023
You shouldn't operate a laptop above 75C. You should see my "pad" has 2x 240mm fans, about 3in. high on the back side. I don't think you understand physics and temps well.
Then perhaps my cases is not where your expertise can be applied. My laptop model is infamous for its high temperature. It is impossible for me to have temperature below 80 degree while gaming even with a high performance thermal paste (arctic MX-4), and a fan pad (deep cool x6) that is specifically bought for its compatibility with my laptop intake vent. I can confidently said it is not due to thermal problem because i've seen what a thermal problem will do. And in my case i dont experience any throttling which is the primary characteristic of thermal problem, unless you are implying that it is possible to have overheat without throttling? But then again you might have more expertise in this matter so please do correct me in this statement.

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I've had reboots & shutdowns on older systems where manufacturers put that in bios, in case of overheating.
Guess what, in newer systems they removed that, go ahead and burn your system, makes them more money.
The physics remain the same, 90C will burn your computer, they're not putting asbestos in the design.
As to what to do about it ? Don't game on laptops, cooling is worse than even Consoles.
I turned my old laptop into a Linux, office use, machine.