Question Laptop Shuts Down Randomly No Blue Screen

May 20, 2019
Lately my gaming laptop has been frequently shutting down and I have been unable to consistently use the computer.

When the computer shuts down the screen goes black then it shuts off completely. When I tr yto restart the computer it might get as far as the login screen before it shuts down again. The shutdown will occur while I am in the bios leading me to believe that it is more than likely a hardware problem.

I have already attempted to try moving the ram to different slots with no luck. I have also tried disconnecting the battery and running the computer with only the power supply but this did not solve it.

At the moment if I wait about 30 minutes the computer will start up and run for a bit before the problem comes back again - I have been able to check the event viewer and saw that the computer would frequently have the "processor is being limited by system firmware" shortly before the crash but I am not sure if they are correlated.

I am trying to make sure I cover all avenues before I cave in and bring it to a computer repair store!

Do you notice the fans running full blast, or any of the status LED indicator lights blinking (Caps lock, Num lock, etc.)? If yes, take the bottom cover off by removing the screws and see whether the fans and heatsinks are clogged with dust/debris; you may need to clean the interior.

For Sager laptops, you would have to get BIOS updates from the original seller or from Sager, as they're not published online - but this is not a BIOS issue (and you don't want to attempt an update if the laptop is suddenly powering off). What you listed is the version of the setup utility, your BIOS version looks like: 1.05.xx

Reactions: redpanda_salami
May 20, 2019
Prostar I will go ahead and get some compressed air and give the heatsinks and fans a thorough dusting.

Although I have not noticed that the fans go on full speed before the shutdown I HAVE noticed that sometimes the computer starts up with the fans already spinning quickly even if the computer itself is stone cold.

I have used hardware monitor to look at the temperatures and there is nothing unusual going on - but maybe the fans are malfunctioning anyways....

May 20, 2019
So after using a compressed air can to give the fans a thorough dusting it seems that the computer is working again!

Although there was not much dust in any of the fans I noticed that one of the fans seemed a little stuck - there is a chance that the fan was not actually running which caused the computer to shut down preemptively to prevent overheating.

I am very relieved. Thanks for all the advice!