Question Laptop shuts down when I plug the power adapter/charger is plugged in ?

Jul 15, 2024
Hi

Laptop model: Lenovo ThinkPad E15 Gen 3

I have a very confusing problem which depends more or less on the battery status. If the battery is loaded to 90%+ I can use my external charger (original power adapter (first one)) without problems. If the battery has less than 90% my laptop will shut down instantly after I plug the charger in.

What I have tried so far:
  • I checked the Batterie Life - Very good condition.
  • I ran the internal System Diagnostics (F10) - all is fine according to that.
  • Power options (Loading start at 70% and end at 95%) Doesn't matter. If the battery has 92% and i plug the power supply in it will hold 92%.
  • Another Charger for testing (90w Dell) - same problem, instant crash.
  • Battery is charging while plugged in, after the laptop crashed.
  • Laptop can run on battery only.
  • Laptop can run without battery - I removed the battery and used only the power adapter.
  • In sleep mode, laptop is charging (under 90%) but will not wake up.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

Jul 15, 2024
I have only one power input jack (left side) and under linux ubuntu i have the same problem. So it might not be a reinstall problem.

In addition to the list:
(with Power Option switched off/on)
If the laptop battery is unter 90% and i plug in the power supply the indication lamp is orange.
If the laptop battery is above 90% and i plug in the power supply the indication lamp is blue.
Maybe that helps.

Sounds like you're down to a bad board or battery. Thinkpads are notoriously finicky about their batteries so that is a possibility; also check the heath of the internal or "built in" battery. I would also make sure to USB power socket and battery contacts are clean.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2024
Hi,
I tested the internal battery (normal capacity -> Its hidden under the batteriemodul :D). Every contact is clean. How to test for motherboard or power adapter problems (power adapter -> can't use my multimeter here)?

From going a little research, this can be caused by a momentary drop of voltage when you plug in the power supply and power transfers from the battery to the power supply. It is possibly caused by some resistance in the plug. I would try, cleaning the USB socket again (try something like Deoxit) and maybe a different power supply, but you may need some more advanced hardware diagnostics. You may also want to try removing the external battery prior to plugging in the power supply to see if it still crashes and also try disconnecting the internal battery, power on the laptop with just the external battery and try the same test. A work around would be to not plug in the power supply with the laptop powered on.

Last edited: