Question Laptop sudden slow speed

Jan 3, 2023
I was playing video games yesterday and my frames suddenly dropped to around 50-60. (I usually get 200+ in game). I quit the game and restarted it, however, I was unable to launch the game. I tried restarting my whole laptop and it didn't work. My whole computer operation seemed to become very slow, as apps took more than double the time than before to launch, animations on the screen are really choppy/ laggy, etc. I reinstalled my graphics driver and even performed a system reset (keeping my personal files) but those weren't solutions to my problem. My computer is still incredibly slow and if I try and relaunch the game, I get only 10 fps. I observed the task manager and realized that my CPU/ GPU are both running at around 30% in the game. The graph in task manager shows 100% when I perform a CPU stress test. I still have no clue what is going on and I'm desperate for help. Thank you all for reading this and I hope you can give me some advice and/ or suggestions.

My Specs
Laptop: Lenovo Legion Y9000K
CPU: Intel i10-10875H @2.30GHz
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060
RAM: 16GB

Jan 3, 2023
Did the bottom of the laptop get hot? It sounds like the processor maybe shut itself down due to thermals.
Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate everybody that's helping me out.

What would usually happen when I play games is that the fan blows loud, like, really loud. However, since the problem occurred, the fans don't seem to turn on even if I launch a game, and the bottom of the laptop doesn't seem to be that hot to the touch either. I've been using this laptop for almost two years and this is the first time I've occurred this problem. If it really is a thermal problem, is there a fix for it? Thank you very much orz

pctech2005

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
hate to say but if the fan died or is clogged then the cpu might have suffered heat damage. Might need a new fan, if you are not experienced with laptop repair, it is time to consult a technician who can look at your laptop and recommend a course of action.