Laptop Suddenly Overheating (Help appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyINFIDEL

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
I have a Lenovo y50-70 which has more or less run normally until a few weeks ago, when I noticed the GPU would suddenly spike up to 80-90 *C on a game that it would normally run at 65*C. This obviously caused performance problems and fps issues. I thought it might be dust/ old thermal paste, so I opened it up, cleaned out the fans and the filter (no dust) and removed/reapplied thermal paste. It ran a bit better, but a day later the temps were up to 89* again.

Anyways, I'm at a loss since I'm not tech oriented. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? I'll give any info as needed.

Specs:

Lenovo y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Core i7
GTX 860m
Windows 8.1

Solution

Are you asking me to show you a screen, because I don't have one, in fact I never worked on a Lenovo, most of us here have generic knowledge, I know there ought to be a screw there but I cannot tell you what that screw looks like, in your particular car. If you want precise answers you want to go to a Lenovo-specific forum where members will be able to give you more precised answers.

Gist: You push the laptop, cpu and other components heat up, the heatsink removes the heat aided by a...

Averst450

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Try running a game while viewing the task manager and see if theres any program thats kicking in and running the background. Most of the time I hear about this problem its because some other piece of software is interfering. I would assume this is the case because youve already checked the hardware.

SpeedyINFIDEL

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

I wasn't sure about bios, how would I check the setting? As for the fan, I considered the possibility but have never been in this situation before and thus I'm not sure how to check for that.... Can you expand on those 2 points and I'll check?

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Update: The temp seems to spike suddenly after 30 ish minutes.

Velo: windows update was not running.
Kenzen: Def not, I keep my laptop propped up slightly for better airflow, makes about 5* C of difference.
Averst: I will check that again, but I have in the past and I've noticed nothing.

Are you asking me to show you a screen, because I don't have one, in fact I never worked on a Lenovo, most of us here have generic knowledge, I know there ought to be a screw there but I cannot tell you what that screw looks like, in your particular car. If you want precise answers you want to go to a Lenovo-specific forum where members will be able to give you more precised answers.

Gist: You push the laptop, cpu and other components heat up, the heatsink removes the heat aided by a variable speed fan(s), the more heat, the fan turns faster (and louder) to remove the heat. On many laptops, there is a BIOS setting (repeat) for Quiet, Standard, Performance (different vendors may use different but similar wordings). The QUIET setting says, simply low Noise (fan) priority hence it delays reeving up the fan, but that also means your laptop will run hotter. To the other extreme, the PERFORMANCE setting says, never mind about noise, turn up fan hard at first sign of heat-up, so computer can continue to run fast WITHOUT THROTTLING.

THROTTLING = This is your computer's last ditch mechanism to guard against heat. It slows down the clock in order to lower temperature (Faster Clock = more heat).

Download a utility that monitor these parameters: Heat, Fan RPM, CPU frequency. I use HWMONITOR for my desktop, I dunno whether it works for laptop. And if you knew what these numbers were when everything was working then you would have a baseline comparison.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.