[SOLVED] [LAPTOP] The "O, L and ." sometimes works but sometimes does not. What's up ?

Jul 5, 2021
Hello so, I have an ASUS X550JX second hand, So this problem started a few days ago, So the problem is that the "O, L and the ." keys stop working RANDMOLY and then sometimes RANDOMLY start working again. This is super annoying as I am a coder and I have to use those keys like a million times in a day and my laptop PIN also has those characters. The thing in common I found out is that on my keyboard the "O, L and the ." key are in a line. So this maybe an issue with something totally else. Thanks in advanced.

Solution
I just tried with on screen keyboard and it works. What could the problem be ? I am tired of copy pasting stuff. It is not an Malware as I scanned 3 times with Malwarebytes. Also it sometimes does work randomly and then stop working and then I have to spam my keys and they work for like a second.
Most laptop have a membrane KB and not infrequently I see "stuff" stuck near the key switch under the the keycap. With the computer OFF, try turning it off, flipping it upside down so particles fall out, and spraying compressed dry air (from a can made for cleaning computers) under and around the offending keys.

They can of course also just wear out and become intermittent or fully fail.

Since the on screen KB works without issue, I...

RealBeast

Titan
Hello so, I have an ASUS X550JX second hand, So this problem started a few days ago, So the problem is that the "O, L and the ." keys stop working RANDMOLY and then sometimes RANDOMLY start working again. This is super annoying as I am a coder and I have to use those keys like a million times in a day and my laptop PIN also has those characters. The thing in common I found out is that on my keyboard the "O, L and the ." key are in a line. So this maybe an issue with something totally else. Thanks in advanced.
I suspect it is the keys, the switches are going. To test it out attach an external keyboard and use it for a while. If that works fine, then replace the laptop KB, there are new ones on EBAY.

Jul 5, 2021
I suspect it is the keys, the switches are going. To test it out attach an external keyboard and use it for a while. If that works fine, then replace the laptop KB, there are new ones on EBAY.
Do you have a keyboard that you can plug in to the usb port?
I just tried with on screen keyboard and it works. What could the problem be ? I am tired of copy pasting stuff. It is not an Malware as I scanned 3 times with Malwarebytes. Also it sometimes does work randomly and then stop working and then I have to spam my keys and they work for like a second.

RealBeast

Titan
Most laptop have a membrane KB and not infrequently I see "stuff" stuck near the key switch under the the keycap. With the computer OFF, try turning it off, flipping it upside down so particles fall out, and spraying compressed dry air (from a can made for cleaning computers) under and around the offending keys.

They can of course also just wear out and become intermittent or fully fail.

Since the on screen KB works without issue, I would try cleaning, and then if that fails spend $10 buying a replacement KB off EBAY and install it, which is not difficult. Watch THIS YouTube video on how to before ordering and if you decide to do it watch again taking notes just before doing it. Keep all screws in a container so you don't lose any -- they are quite small M2 and M2.5.

This assumes that you are comfortable working on your laptop. I do it a lot but if you aren't "handy" in such things you can have a shop do it for an inflated amount (my guess would be ~ $100 but perhaps less).

Solution